Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Hertz and BPS in communication channels

1. Apr 8, 2013 #1
    Hi, Im researching communication channels such as UTP, coax etc and I keep seeing them referred to with either M/k/G bps and MHz. Am i correct in thinking bps is the data transfer speed and Hz is referring to bandwidth as I am getting confused? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2013 #2
    Hz is usually referring to harmonic oscillations. 1 Hz is one full oscillation per second. Like a pendulum - from center to left and then back to right, and then back to center. If pendulum makes it 2 times per sec it will be 2Hz.

In radio Hz are referring to a base frequency that may be modulated some way (amplitude, phase, etc) to transmit an information signal.
    Higher base frequency may transmit more information signal, so bandwidth is correlated with base frequency. But it is not same. Rate of bandwidth to base frequency depends on a way of coding information signal into base frequency modulations.

4. Apr 8, 2013 #3
    I am not 100% certain about your question but.... I think BPS means bits per second, ie pulses per second and MHz refers to the frequency of the transmission (radio etc)
    One guidline I am aware of is that to produce 'good' sharp pulses the transmitting frequency needs to be at least 10x greater than the required number of pulses per second.
    This is so that each pulse can contain at least 10 cycles of the transmitting wave.
    Very basic....hope it helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook