Help with integrating differential equation

In summary: Is there a mistake in the original?In summary, the solution to the given equation is v = \frac{1}{4\mu} \frac{\partial p}{\partial z} \rho^{2} + C_{1}ln(\rho) +C_{2}. The process involved expanding the right side of the equation and solving for the transient and steady state solutions. A possible error in the original equation is noted.
teeeeee
Hi,

Could someone help me see how the solution of the equation [tex]\frac{1}{\mu} \frac{\partial p}{\partial z} = \frac{1}{\rho} \frac{\partial}{\partial \rho} (\rho \frac{\partial v}{\partial \rho})[/tex]

is [tex]v = \frac{1}{4\mu} \frac{\partial p}{\partial z} \rho^{2} + C_{1}ln(\rho) +C_{2}[/tex]

Thank you

teeeeee

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Could someone help me see how the solution of the equation [tex] \frac{1}{\mu} \frac{\partial p}{\partial z} = \frac{1}{\rho} \frac{\partial}{\partial \rho} (\rho \frac{\partial v}{\partial \rho}) [/tex] is [tex] v = \frac{1}{4\mu} \frac{\partial p}{\partial z} \rho^{2} + C_{1}ln(\rho) +C_{2} [/tex]

Thank you

teeeeee

Anyone? Please help

assume partial p over partial z to be some constant 'k'
expand the right side you now have a second order linear differential equation with a coeff
something like
(D^2 + D)v = (k/mu)*rho
remember rho is not a constant so find the transient solution
the sum of the steady state and transient solution is your answer
hope this helped

ps: i am lazy to use symbols

teeeeee said:
Hi,

Could someone help me see how the solution of the equation [tex]\frac{1}{\mu} \frac{\partial p}{\partial z} = \frac{1}{\rho} \frac{\partial}{\partial \rho} (\rho \frac{\partial v}{\partial \rho})[/tex]

is [tex]v = \frac{1}{4\mu} \frac{\partial p}{\partial z} \rho^{2} + C_{1}ln(\rho) +C_{2}[/tex]

Thank you

teeeeee

It isn't clear what variables depend on what, but you can check this. I will use subscripts for partials. Let's begin by calling

[tex]w = \frac{1}{\mu} \frac{\partial p}{\partial z} [/tex].

So you have

[tex]\rho w = (\rho v_{\rho})_{\rho}[/tex]. Integrate with respect to [itex]\rho[/itex]:

[tex]\frac {\rho^2} 2 w + C =\rho v_{\rho},\ v_{\rho}=\frac {\rho} 2 w + \frac C {\rho}[/tex]

Integrate again:

[tex]v =\frac {\rho^2} 2 w + C\ln \rho + D = \frac {\rho^2} 2\frac{1}{\mu} \frac{\partial p}{\partial z}+ C\ln \rho + D[/tex]

You can check it. Something is off by a factor of 1/2.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of calculus to find the rate of change of a variable over time.

Why is it important to integrate a differential equation?

Integrating a differential equation allows us to find the original function from its derivative, which is crucial in many areas of science and engineering. It also helps us to solve real-world problems, such as predicting the behavior of physical systems.

What are the different methods for integrating a differential equation?

There are several methods for integrating a differential equation, including separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Each method is suitable for different types of equations and can be used to find exact or approximate solutions.

What are the initial conditions in a differential equation?

The initial conditions in a differential equation refer to the values of the function and its derivatives at a specific point in time. These conditions are necessary to find a unique solution to the equation.

How can I check if my solution to a differential equation is correct?

You can check the validity of your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also use software or graphing tools to visualize the solution and compare it to the behavior of the system being modeled.