1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help with integrating differential equation

1. Jan 6, 2010 #1
    Hi,

Could someone help me see how the solution of the equation [tex]\frac{1}{\mu} \frac{\partial p}{\partial z} = \frac{1}{\rho} \frac{\partial}{\partial \rho} (\rho \frac{\partial v}{\partial \rho})[/tex]

is [tex]v = \frac{1}{4\mu} \frac{\partial p}{\partial z} \rho^{2} + C_{1}ln(\rho) +C_{2}[/tex]

Thank you

teeeeee

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2010 #2
    Hi,

Could someone help me see how the solution of the equation [tex] \frac{1}{\mu} \frac{\partial p}{\partial z} = \frac{1}{\rho} \frac{\partial}{\partial \rho} (\rho \frac{\partial v}{\partial \rho}) [/tex] is [tex] v = \frac{1}{4\mu} \frac{\partial p}{\partial z} \rho^{2} + C_{1}ln(\rho) +C_{2} [/tex]

Thank you

teeeeee

4. Jan 6, 2010 #3
    Anyone? Please help

5. Jan 6, 2010 #4
    assume partial p over partial z to be some constant 'k'
    expand the right side you now have a second order linear differential equation with a coeff
    something like
    (D^2 + D)v = (k/mu)*rho
    remember rho is not a constant so find the transient solution
    the sum of the steady state and transient solution is your answer
    hope this helped

ps: i am lazy to use symbols

6. Jan 6, 2010 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It isn't clear what variables depend on what, but you can check this. I will use subscripts for partials. Let's begin by calling

[tex]w = \frac{1}{\mu} \frac{\partial p}{\partial z} [/tex].

So you have

[tex]\rho w = (\rho v_{\rho})_{\rho}[/tex]. Integrate with respect to [itex]\rho[/itex]:

[tex]\frac {\rho^2} 2 w + C =\rho v_{\rho},\ v_{\rho}=\frac {\rho} 2 w + \frac C {\rho}[/tex]

Integrate again:

[tex]v =\frac {\rho^2} 2 w + C\ln \rho + D = \frac {\rho^2} 2\frac{1}{\mu} \frac{\partial p}{\partial z}+ C\ln \rho + D[/tex]

You can check it. Something is off by a factor of 1/2.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook