Help with kinetic and dynamic principles

In summary: This can be found by multiplying the mass by the speed in meters per second. Next, find the work done against this energy. This can be found by multiplying the mass by the force in newtons. The result will be in joules. Finally, divide the result by 1000 to get a joule/second.
shibby_ftw
a train of mass 240 tonne is moving, at a speed of 84 km/h, up an incline of 1 in 90. the resistance to motion is 45 n per tonne. if power is removed, calculate the distance traveled along the incline before the train comes to rest

and

a railway wagon of mass 10 tonne traveling due east with a velocity of 14 kmh on a straight section of track collides with a second wagon of mass 12 tonne traveling due west at 3 km/h if thery are locked together after impact find the magnitude and direction of their common velocity.
i have no idea how to work it out, my notes have gone missing

i don't know where to begin, can someone help me with it please?
i don't mean do it for me i mean give me help in doing so, be it via email of instant message

Physics news on Phys.org
shibby_ftw said:
a train of mass 240 tonne is moving, at a speed of 84 km/h, up an incline of 1 in 90. the resistance to motion is 45 n (N of coeff of friction?) per tonne. if power is removed, calculate the distance traveled along the incline before the train comes to rest

and

a railway wagon of mass 10 tonne traveling due east with a velocity of 14 kmh on a straight section of track collides with a second wagon of mass 12 tonne traveling due west at 3 km/h if thery are locked together after impact find the magnitude and direction of their common velocity.

1. Are your notes really missing :P.

2. If you have the mass and speed of an object you can compute it's energy. If you know that it loses energy through climbing and friction (or whatever that is) in a constant manner than time is easy.

3. This is a plastic collision problem and energy will be lost (out of the system) whatever remains will decide your speed. Momentum is more useful in this problem.

1. Are your notes really missing :P.

2. If you have the mass and speed of an object you can compute it's energy. If you know that it loses energy through climbing and friction (or whatever that is) in a constant manner than time is easy.

3. This is a plastic collision problem and energy will be lost (out of the system) whatever remains will decide your speed. Momentum is more useful in this problem.[/QUOTE]haha yeahh they are actually missing, i don't know the forumla required to work it out, or how towork it out at all. I am really bad at mechanical principles can you show me how to find out the forumla to use? are they based on the speed of the train and the friction?

and the resistance to motion is I am guessed its 240 tonne so there is 45N per tonne slowing it down so there's 10800N acting on the train? how are Newtons turned into speed? is it the same as gravity? so 9.81m/s ?and then times 10800? 105948 m/s divided by 1000 to make it km/h acting on the train so 105.948 km/h and its goes 84km/h so its slowing pretty fast? or am i well off?

I guess it wants to mean that on 90 units of horizontal offset, there is one unit of horizontal offset.
so tg(alpha)=1/90

shibby_ftw said:
haha yeahh they are actually missing, i don't know the forumla required to work it out, or how towork it out at all. I am really bad at mechanical principles can you show me how to find out the forumla to use? are they based on the speed of the train and the friction?

and the resistance to motion is I am guessed its 240 tonne so there is 45N per tonne slowing it down so there's 10800N acting on the train? how are Newtons turned into speed? is it the same as gravity? so 9.81m/s ?and then times 10800? 105948 m/s divided by 1000 to make it km/h acting on the train so 105.948 km/h and its goes 84km/h so its slowing pretty fast? or am i well off?

U cannot turn everything into everything else. N are a measure of force, not speed. There are relations to energy spentthat will help. First find out what energy the train has at 84 km/h. expressed in joules.

1. What is the difference between kinetic and dynamic principles?

Kinetic principles refer to the study of motion and the forces that act upon it. This includes concepts such as velocity, acceleration, and momentum. On the other hand, dynamic principles refer to the study of how forces and motion affect systems and objects in motion. This includes concepts such as work, energy, and power.

2. How do kinetic and dynamic principles apply in real life?

Kinetic and dynamic principles are essential in understanding the physical world around us. They can be applied in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and sports. For example, understanding kinetic principles can help engineers design more efficient machines, while understanding dynamic principles can help athletes improve their performance.

3. Can you give an example of a real-life application of kinetic and dynamic principles?

One example is the design of roller coasters. The kinetic and dynamic principles are used to ensure that the roller coaster cars have enough speed and energy to complete the entire track without losing momentum. Engineers also consider the forces acting on the riders, such as acceleration and gravitational pull, to ensure a safe and enjoyable ride.

4. What are some common misconceptions about kinetic and dynamic principles?

One common misconception is that these principles only apply to objects in motion. In reality, they also apply to objects at rest, as forces can act on stationary objects as well. Another misconception is that these principles only apply to large-scale objects, when in fact, they also apply to smaller objects at the atomic and molecular level.

5. How can I improve my understanding of kinetic and dynamic principles?

To improve your understanding of kinetic and dynamic principles, it is important to practice solving problems and applying these principles in real-life scenarios. You can also read textbooks and watch videos that explain these concepts in detail. Additionally, conducting experiments and participating in hands-on activities can also help solidify your understanding of these principles.