Fluid Dynamics Help (Force with a dynamic viscosity)

Also, please note that the dynamic viscosity value given is in Pa*s, not Pa/m. Overall, it seems that the percent reduction in force is still quite high, but it could be due to the small thickness of the oil film. Perhaps double checking the calculations and considering the impact of the oil film's thickness could help in verifying the result. In summary, the problem involves a block with specified dimensions and weight being moved at a constant velocity on an inclined surface with a friction coefficient. The force required to move the block is calculated to be 40.5N using statics equations. However, when taking into account a thin oil film with a dynamic viscosity of .012Pa*s, the required force is significantly reduced to 2
Colt 45 J
Problem Statement
A 50cm by 30cm by 20cm block weighing 150N is to be moved at a constant velocity of .8 m/s on an inclined surface with a friction coefficient of 0.27. (a) Determine the force f that needs to be applied in the horizontal direction. (b) if a .4mm thick oil film with a dynamic viscosity of .012Pa*s is applied between the block and inclined surface, determine the percent reduction in the required force.

Given: P=150N V=.8m/s a=0, mu(v)=.012Pa*s mu(f)=.27

Find: F(a), F(b), %r

Diagram:
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7915/fluids275.png The attempt at a solution

I solved the F(a) to be 40.5N using statics equations (since there is no acceleration F=ma=0)

When using the equations presented in my text I get:
F=mu(v)*A*V/l
F=.012*(.5*.2)*.8/.0004
F=2.4
F(b)=2.4/cos(20*)
F(b)=2.554N

Thus the percentage would be a ~94% reduction in force, which sounds highly unrealistic and leads me to think I did something wrong...

Some Help?

Thanks, Colt 45 J

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Colt 45 J: Your answer currently looks correct. The oil reduces the required force by a large amount. By the way, please note the following international standard for writing units. Secondly, please do not post wide images directly to the forum page. Just post a text link to wide images. Or crop the image.

1. Always leave a space between a numeric value and its following unit symbol. E.g., 50 cm, not 50cm.

2. Numbers less than 1 must always have a zero before the decimal point. E.g., 0.5, not .5. See the international standard for writing units (ISO 31-0).

I was considering, would I end up using the shear force (calculated using the force already found). The result from doing that is about a 37% reduction, which seems much more realistic.

(V=F/A)

For the future I'll be sure to crop and use the ISO standards.

Colt 45 J: I think the force already found (F = 2.40 N) is already the shear force. Therefore, you would not divide it by A.

Dear Colt 45 J,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with your fluid dynamics problem. After reviewing your attempted solution, I can confirm that your calculations and approach are correct. The large reduction in force may seem unrealistic, but it is actually a result of the low dynamic viscosity of the oil film. Dynamic viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow, and in this case, the low value of 0.012Pa*s indicates that the oil film is quite slippery and will significantly reduce the friction between the block and the inclined surface.

In practical applications, it is common to use lubricants with low dynamic viscosity to reduce friction and improve the efficiency of movement. The high reduction in force in this problem simply reflects the effectiveness of the oil film in reducing friction.

I hope this helps to clarify your solution and understanding of the problem. Keep up the good work in your studies of fluid dynamics!

Best,
[Your name]

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the scientific study of how fluids, such as liquids and gases, move and interact with their surroundings. It involves understanding the forces and motion of fluids, as well as their properties and behaviors.

2. What is dynamic viscosity?

Dynamic viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow under an applied force. It is a measure of the internal friction within a fluid that determines how easily it can be deformed or sheared.

3. How is force related to dynamic viscosity?

The force exerted on a fluid is directly proportional to its dynamic viscosity. This means that the higher the dynamic viscosity of a fluid, the more force is required to make it flow at a given rate.

4. What are some real-world applications of fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics has many practical applications in various fields, including engineering, meteorology, and oceanography. Some examples include designing efficient aerodynamics for airplanes, predicting weather patterns, and understanding ocean currents.

5. How is fluid dynamics used in scientific research?

Fluid dynamics plays a crucial role in many scientific research areas, such as studying the movement of blood in the human body, understanding the behavior of ocean and atmospheric currents, and modeling the flow of fluids in chemical reactions. It also helps in developing new technologies and improving existing ones.