Help with manipulating a digital signal

In summary, Terry is trying to delay the signal from a digital hall sensor so that it is timing the ignition spark in an automobile. He is looking for a simpler IC solution, and is considering using a 555 timer.
Terry335
Hi everyone, software engineer here that needs help with a basic EE project for an automotive application.

I have a digital hall sensor that goes high (+2v) once per engine revolution. This high signal is used to time the ignition spark, and its frequency is used to determine the engine RPM.

Here is the challenge: I need to slightly delay this signal using discrete components, without significantly altering the amplitude or frequency. I want to basically shift the entire curve back a millisecond or two or twenty (TBD).

If this isn't possible with discrete components, I need the simplest IC solution.

Any clues would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Terry

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Terry.
I really know nothing about electronics in general, and certainly nothing about this specifc application. I'm wondering, though, if you couldn't just use the same system (whatever it is) that bands use for the 'echo' effect. It's pretty much just a matter of capturing the signal, storing it, and then releasing it. Wouldn't a capacitor setup do that? Or maybe a basic memory chip?

Danger said:
Welcome to PF, Terry.
I really know nothing about electronics in general, and certainly nothing about this specifc application. I'm wondering, though, if you couldn't just use the same system (whatever it is) that bands use for the 'echo' effect. It's pretty much just a matter of capturing the signal, storing it, and then releasing it. Wouldn't a capacitor setup do that? Or maybe a basic memory chip?

The problem with a capacitor is that I would lose the square properties of the signal, which I need to preserve. Good idea though, I was thinking a capacitor that triggered an op-amp to rebuild the square signal could work, but I am hoping there is an easier way.

Last edited:
This looks like a good application for the 555 timer IC. Check out the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monostable.

Hope this helps.

1. How can I manipulate a digital signal?

To manipulate a digital signal, you can use signal processing techniques such as filtering, modulation, and demodulation. These techniques involve altering the amplitude, frequency, or phase of the signal to achieve the desired result.

2. What tools do I need to manipulate a digital signal?

You will need a computer or digital signal processor (DSP) and software that allows you to process digital signals. Some popular tools include MATLAB, Python, and GNU Radio.

3. Can I manipulate a digital signal in real-time?

Yes, with the right hardware and software, you can manipulate a digital signal in real-time. This is commonly done in applications such as audio and video processing.

4. What are some common applications of manipulating digital signals?

Digital signal manipulation is used in a wide range of applications, including wireless communications, image and video processing, radar and sonar systems, and biomedical signal processing.

5. Are there any limitations to manipulating digital signals?

While digital signals can be manipulated with great precision and flexibility, there are limitations. For example, the sampling rate and resolution of the signal can affect the accuracy of the manipulation. Additionally, some techniques may introduce unwanted noise or distortion to the signal.