Help with Multivariable Calculus

So it is now in the right place.In summary, the problem involves finding the average area of an inscribed triangle in the unit circle, where each vertex is equally likely to be at any point in the circle and the position of one vertex does not affect the position of another. The maximum area is achieved by an equilateral triangle with side length √3 and area 3√3/4. To calculate this average, we can reduce the problem to a double integral using polar coordinates, with one vertex placed at (1,0) and the other two vertices represented by the polar angles θ1 and θ2. The region of integration is determined by the minimum and maximum angles of the triangle's sides as they sweep inside
CDrappi
Find the average area of an inscribed triangle in the unit circle. Assume that each vertex of the triangle is equally likely to be at any point of the unit circle and that the location of one vertex does not affect the likelihood the location of another in any way. (Note that, as seen in Problem set 4, the maximum area is achieved by the equilateral triangle, which has
side length √3 and area 3√3/4. How does the maximum compare to the average?)
Hint: in order to reduce the problem to the calculation of a double integral, place one of the vertices of the triangle at(1,0),and use the polar angles θ1 and θ2 of the two other vertices as variables. What is the region of integration?

Thanks

http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/Mathematics/18-02Fall-2007/Assignments/ps7.pdf

(I'm not at MIT, I'm taking the class online, and this problem REALLY irritated me)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If this is HW, it should have been posted under the HW forums.

Do you have a specific question? The region of integration is given by the domain of the integration variables, θ1 and θ2. Picture one side of the triangle making a sweep inside the unit circle (sort of like a radar monitor) -- what is the minimum angle? What is the max. angle?

EnumaElish said:
If this is HW, it should have been posted under the HW forums.

Do you have a specific question? The region of integration is given by the domain of the integration variables, θ1 and θ2. Picture one side of the triangle making a sweep inside the unit circle (sort of like a radar monitor) -- what is the minimum angle? What is the max. angle?

It isn't homework... as I'm not in a class. But it is a "problem," so I actually reposted it in the HW section.

What is Multivariable Calculus?

Multivariable Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of multiple variables. It involves the application of differential and integral calculus to functions of two or more variables. It is used to model and analyze real-world phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are the key concepts in Multivariable Calculus?

The key concepts in Multivariable Calculus include partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector calculus, and optimization. These concepts are used to solve problems involving functions of multiple variables, such as finding rates of change, finding maximum and minimum values, and calculating areas and volumes.

Why is Multivariable Calculus important?

Multivariable Calculus is important because it provides a powerful tool for understanding and analyzing complex systems in various fields. It allows us to model real-world situations and make predictions about their behavior. It is also the foundation for many advanced mathematical concepts and is essential for further studies in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are some common applications of Multivariable Calculus?

Some common applications of Multivariable Calculus include optimization problems in economics, finding volumes and surface areas in physics and engineering, and analyzing the motion of objects in space using vector calculus. It is also used in computer graphics and machine learning algorithms.

How can I improve my understanding of Multivariable Calculus?

To improve your understanding of Multivariable Calculus, it is important to practice solving problems and working through examples. You can also seek help from a tutor or attend study groups to clarify any concepts you may be struggling with. Additionally, using online resources, such as videos and practice quizzes, can also aid in understanding the material.