Help with personal thoughts and observations in attempt to understand the fourth dimension better

• B
  • Thread starter eggy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shape
eggy
Based on info found in this forum, I have compiled info along with personal thoughts and observations in attempt to understand the fourth dimension better

any input or corrections would be helpful, along with links to sites you have found helpful in your experience.
Thanks! My notes below:Observations:

Move up/down

Move left/right

Move forward/backward

(Age [one direction])
2d circle in 1 dimension is a line getting larger and smaller

3D circle in 2 dimensions is a circle getting larger and smaller

4d sphere in 3 dimensions is a sphere growing and shrinking

What does 4d shape look like? Tesseract? Hypercube?

How does it work?
Possible dimension- Time

Visualized in 2d as a straight line

Visualized in 3D as a straight line

Conclusion: time is a straight line which any point can be accessed through any point all the time.
Time never started and never stops (different from eternity) TIME OPERATES IN A LOOP (time never started and never stops but with infinite time matter will reassemble itself into every single possible combination) given that time is relative and infinite. Light and time are distorted in a black hole (general relativity)
2d timeline is 2d, only exists in 2+ dimensions (too simple) 3D timeline only exists in 3+ dimensions (2d cannot hold due to lack of dimensions.) proposed 4d timeline only exists in 4+ dimensions (3D cannot hold due to lack of dimensions)

Does not exist in any dimension above current dimensionUndefined

Cannot be defined

Time is not infinite (nor finite)
There is Never nothing. Point=0 dimensions

Physics news on Phys.org
eggy said:
2d circle in 1 dimension is a line getting larger and smaller
The way you would say this technically is that the foliation of a 2D disk into an ordered series of 1D submanifolds is a line segment that gets larger and smaller as you progress along the series.

eggy said:
3D circle in 2 dimensions is a circle getting larger and smaller

4d sphere in 3 dimensions is a sphere growing and shrinking
Similarly with these.

eggy said:
What does 4d shape look like? Tesseract? Hypercube?
What does a 3D shape look like? I don't think this is a well formed question.

eggy said:
How does it work?
How do 3D shapes work? I don't think this is a well formed question either.

eggy said:
Time never started and never stops (different from eternity) TIME OPERATES IN A LOOP
It is certainly possible to produce solutions to the Einstein field equations with closed timelike curves. But there is no experimental indications that support the idea that such spacetimes represent reality in any way.

eggy said:
Undefined

Cannot be defined

Time is not infinite (nor finite)
There is Never nothing. Point=0 dimensions
None of this communicates anything that I can tell.

these were mostly just brain dumps i did in geometry class. I am a freshman in high school and was just asking for input (which you provided). I have virtually no knowledge of any theoretical physics, yet have a huge interest in it. Thank you for the input, is there any way you could include some links to things that i could use to grasp this idea?

Likes Dale

What is the fourth dimension?

The fourth dimension is often referred to as time in the context of physics, where it is considered alongside the three spatial dimensions (length, width, and height) to describe the space-time continuum. However, in a purely mathematical or geometrical sense, the fourth dimension refers to a hypothetical direction in space that is perpendicular to all three spatial dimensions. This concept is difficult to visualize, as our everyday experiences are confined to three-dimensional space.

How can we visualize the fourth dimension?

Visualizing the fourth dimension can be challenging due to our three-dimensional perception. However, one common method is through analogies and projections. For instance, just as a three-dimensional object casts a two-dimensional shadow, a four-dimensional object would cast a three-dimensional shadow. Mathematicians and artists sometimes use projections, such as tesseracts or hypercubes, which are four-dimensional analogs of the cube, to represent the concept of the fourth dimension in a form that can be understood in our three-dimensional space.

What are some implications of the fourth dimension in physics?

In physics, the fourth dimension is crucial in the theory of relativity, where it is used to describe the fabric of space-time. The incorporation of time as a fourth dimension alongside the three spatial dimensions allows for a more comprehensive understanding of how the universe works, including how matter and energy interact. This has profound implications for concepts like gravity, the bending of light, and the behavior of objects near the speed of light.

Can we access the fourth dimension?

In terms of physical access, humans cannot directly experience the fourth dimension due to our three-dimensional existence. However, we can observe the effects and implications of a four-dimensional universe in theories and experiments, such as those involving relativity and time dilation. In mathematics and computer simulations, we can explore and manipulate four-dimensional objects and spaces, providing insights that are otherwise impossible to achieve through direct sensory experience.

How does the concept of the fourth dimension influence modern science and technology?

The concept of the fourth dimension has a significant impact on various fields of science and technology. In physics, it is a fundamental part of theories that describe the universe, such as general relativity. In technology, understanding higher dimensions can lead to advances in fields like computer graphics, virtual reality, and complex systems modeling. It also pushes the boundaries of mathematics, leading to new theories and models that can be applied in solving real-world problems in innovative ways.