1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Proof on Integration

1. Nov 15, 2012 #1
    I was assigned this problem in class. My instructor said it was a very popular theorem, but I cannot find it in my book or online. I am clueless on what to do. I would appreciate the help.

Let f(x) be bounded and integrable on [a, b]. Assume that g(x) differs from f(x) on only finitely many points in the domain. Show that g(x) is integrable. Moreover, show that ∫f(x)dx = ∫g(x)dx (Both integrals are from b to a).

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi tomhawk24! welcome to pf! :smile:

start with the definition

which definition of integral (or integrable) are you using?

4. Nov 15, 2012 #3
    Well we are working mainly on the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus right now.

5. Nov 15, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ok, we'll start with that, then …

what does the fundamental theorem of calculus say? :smile:

6. Nov 16, 2012 #5
    Starting from the area interpretation of the integral, answer this question: If I take finitely many points out of the graph of a curve f(x) and place them at some other y-coordinate, would the function still be integrable? What would be its integral?

Tip: Does a point have dimensions, or does a line have width? What is the area of a rectangle?

7. Nov 16, 2012 #6

lurflurf

Homework Helper

First show
    ∫(f(x)-g(x))dx =0
    then use linearity

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook