Help with Proof: Prove n \equiv 3(mod 6) if 2^n + n^2 is Prime

• Thread starter gimpy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, by considering the congruence of 2^n + n^2 mod 3 and eliminating the possibility of n being even, it can be proven that n is congruent to 3 mod 6.
gimpy
Let [tex]n \geq 2[/tex] be an integer such that [tex]2^n + n^2[/tex] is prime. Prove that [tex]n \equiv 3(mod 6)[/tex].

Ok this is what i have so far.
[tex]n \equiv 3(mod 6)\\ \Rightarrow 6|n-3\\ \Rightarrow n - 3 = 6k \\ \Rightarrow n = 6k + 3 \\[/tex].

Ok well i think i can use a proof by contradition. Obviosly [tex]n[/tex] cannot be an even number because [tex]2^n + n^2[/tex] won't be prime. So [tex]n[/tex] must be [tex]6k + 1[/tex] or [tex]6k + 3[/tex] or [tex]6k + 5[/tex]. Now when i plug all these into [tex]2^n + n^2[/tex] and mess around with it for a bit i just can't seem to prove it. Can anyone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
It suffices to consider the 2^n + n^2 mod 3.

Clearly, if n is NOT congruent to 0 mod three, then as n must be odd, 2^n = -1 mod 3 and n^2 = 1 mod 3, thus 2^n + n^2 =0 mod 3 and can't be prime (n=1 excepted)

Hence n is divisble by 3, and not by two, thus it is congruent to 3 mod 6

First, we can rewrite the given expression as 2^n + n^2 = (2^n - 1) + (n^2 + 1). Since n \geq 2, both terms in the parentheses are greater than 1. Therefore, for the expression to be prime, one of the terms must be equal to 1 and the other must be equal to the prime number.

Now, let's consider the possible values of n \mod 6. If n \equiv 1 \mod 6, then n^2 + 1 \equiv 2 \mod 6, which means that n^2 + 1 is not a prime number. Similarly, if n \equiv 5 \mod 6, then n^2 + 1 \equiv 2 \mod 6, which again means that n^2 + 1 is not a prime number. Therefore, the only possible value for n \mod 6 is n \equiv 3 \mod 6.

Now, let's assume that n \not\equiv 3 \mod 6. This means that n \equiv 1 \mod 6 or n \equiv 5 \mod 6. In both cases, n = 6k + 1 or n = 6k + 5 for some integer k. Plugging these values into n^2 + 1, we get n^2 + 1 = (6k + 1)^2 + 1 = 36k^2 + 12k + 2. This expression is clearly not prime, as it is divisible by 2. Therefore, our assumption was incorrect and n \equiv 3 \mod 6 must be true.

Thus, we have proven that if 2^n + n^2 is prime, then n \equiv 3 \mod 6.

Related to Help with Proof: Prove n \equiv 3(mod 6) if 2^n + n^2 is Prime

What does the notation "n \equiv 3(mod 6)" mean?

The notation "n \equiv 3(mod 6)" means that n is congruent to 3 modulo 6. This means that when n is divided by 6, the remainder will always be 3.

What is a prime number?

A prime number is a positive integer that is only divisible by 1 and itself. In other words, it has exactly two factors.

How do you prove that n \equiv 3(mod 6) if 2^n + n^2 is prime?

To prove that n \equiv 3(mod 6) if 2^n + n^2 is prime, we can use the contrapositive of the statement. This means that we assume n \not\equiv 3(mod 6) and show that 2^n + n^2 is not prime. We can do this by showing that n is divisible by 2 or 3, which would make 2^n + n^2 not prime.

What is the significance of proving this statement?

Proving this statement can have several implications in number theory and cryptography. It can be used to show that certain sequences or patterns of numbers will always result in prime numbers, which can be useful in encryption algorithms. It also helps to understand the properties of prime numbers and how they relate to other numbers.

Can this statement be generalized to other values besides n \equiv 3(mod 6)?

Yes, this statement can be generalized to other values of n. In fact, it has been proven that for any positive integer k, if 2^n + n^k is prime, then n \equiv k(mod k+1). This means that the remainder when n is divided by k+1 will always be equal to k.