1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Improper) Integral -2x/(1+x^2) dx from -INF to INF

1. Oct 25, 2013 #1

s3a

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the integral

INT -2x/(1+x^2) dx FROM -INF TO INF (The attached TheIntegral.jpg file shows this in a more aesthetically-pleasing manner.)

If the integral is divergent, state that it is so. Otherwise, evaluate the integral.

2. Relevant equations
    Integration.
    U substitution.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I turned the integral the problem gives into:

lim t-> inf INT -2x/(1+x^2) dx FROM -t TO t

Letting u = 1+x^2, du/dx = 2x, dx = du/2x

Lower limit: u = 1 + (-t)^2 = 1 + t^2, Upper limit: u = 1 + (t)^2 = 1 + t^2
    lim t-> inf INT -1/u du FROM (1 + t^2) TO (1 + t^2)
    lim t-> inf [-ln|u|] FROM (1 + t^2) TO (1 + t^2) = 0

Using Wolfram Alpha, I know the integral is divergent but, when I use Maxima, I get Principal Value: 0 (and, I don't know what means, but it's what I get).

In addition to me agreeing with the value that Maxima gives, I also used another piece of software called Kmplot which is how I got the image I attached in this thread, TheGraph.jpg, which shows a symmetric graph with areas that, to my intuition at least, seem to cancel out.

Could someone please explain to me why this integral is a divergent integral rather than one that converges to a value of 0?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2013 #2
    Improper integral ##\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x)\,dx## is converged if both integrals ##\int_{-\infty}^af(x)\,dx## and ##\int_a^\infty f(x)\,dx## are convergent. Cauchy principal value is a limit ##\lim\limits_{a\to\infty}\int_{-a}^af(x)\,dx## and it may exist even if ##\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x)\,dx## is divergent.

4. Oct 25, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I posted a reply, but I deleted it and am rethinking what I said...

5. Oct 25, 2013 #4

s3a

Here is the Wolfram Alpha link.:
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+-2x/(1+x^2)+dx+from+-inf+to+inf

Looking at the above link again, it does say that the integral equals to zero below "Cauchy Principal Value:", which is beyond what I'm currently learning, but it also says that the integral does not converge.

According to the answer from the problem I am doing, the integral is in fact diverging (but, I still don't understand why).

6. Oct 25, 2013 #5

s3a

Szynkasz, that was the information I needed!

Thank you both! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted