(Improper) Integral -2x/(1+x^2) dx from -INF to INF

In summary, the conversation discusses an improper integral and whether it is divergent or convergent. The integral is evaluated using u-substitution and software programs such as Wolfram Alpha and Kmplot. It is determined that the integral is divergent and does not converge. The concept of Cauchy principal value is also mentioned.
s3a

Homework Statement

Consider the integral

INT -2x/(1+x^2) dx FROM -INF TO INF (The attached TheIntegral.jpg file shows this in a more aesthetically-pleasing manner.)

If the integral is divergent, state that it is so. Otherwise, evaluate the integral.

Homework Equations

Integration.
U substitution.

The Attempt at a Solution

I turned the integral the problem gives into:

lim t-> inf INT -2x/(1+x^2) dx FROM -t TO t

Letting u = 1+x^2, du/dx = 2x, dx = du/2x

Lower limit: u = 1 + (-t)^2 = 1 + t^2, Upper limit: u = 1 + (t)^2 = 1 + t^2
lim t-> inf INT -1/u du FROM (1 + t^2) TO (1 + t^2)
lim t-> inf [-ln|u|] FROM (1 + t^2) TO (1 + t^2) = 0

Using Wolfram Alpha, I know the integral is divergent but, when I use Maxima, I get Principal Value: 0 (and, I don't know what means, but it's what I get).

In addition to me agreeing with the value that Maxima gives, I also used another piece of software called Kmplot which is how I got the image I attached in this thread, TheGraph.jpg, which shows a symmetric graph with areas that, to my intuition at least, seem to cancel out.

Could someone please explain to me why this integral is a divergent integral rather than one that converges to a value of 0?

Attachments

• TheIntegral.png
    TheIntegral.png
    745 bytes · Views: 631
  • TheGraph.jpg
    TheGraph.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 675
Physics news on Phys.org
Improper integral ##\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x)\,dx## is converged if both integrals ##\int_{-\infty}^af(x)\,dx## and ##\int_a^\infty f(x)\,dx## are convergent. Cauchy principal value is a limit ##\lim\limits_{a\to\infty}\int_{-a}^af(x)\,dx## and it may exist even if ##\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x)\,dx## is divergent.

I posted a reply, but I deleted it and am rethinking what I said...

Here is the Wolfram Alpha link.:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+-2x/(1+x^2)+dx+from+-inf+to+inf

Looking at the above link again, it does say that the integral equals to zero below "Cauchy Principal Value:", which is beyond what I'm currently learning, but it also says that the integral does not converge.

According to the answer from the problem I am doing, the integral is in fact diverging (but, I still don't understand why).

Szynkasz, that was the information I needed!

Thank you both! :)

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where one or both of the limits of integration are either infinite or approaches infinity. This means that the area under the curve cannot be calculated using traditional methods and requires a different approach.

2. How do you solve an improper integral?

To solve an improper integral, you must first determine if it is convergent or divergent. This can be done by finding the limit of the integral as the limits of integration approach infinity. If the limit exists, then the integral is convergent and can be solved using integration techniques. If the limit does not exist, then the integral is divergent and does not have a solution.

3. What is the purpose of the limits of integration being -INF to INF?

The limits of integration being -INF to INF indicate that the integral is over the entire real number line. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the area under the curve, as it takes into account all possible values of x.

4. What is the function -2x/(1+x^2) used for?

The function -2x/(1+x^2) is often used in physics and engineering to model situations where a force is acting against a moving object, such as friction. It can also be used in economics to model the relationship between supply and demand.

5. Can you graph the function -2x/(1+x^2)?

Yes, the function -2x/(1+x^2) can be graphed using a graphing calculator or software. The resulting graph will have a curve that approaches the x-axis as x approaches -INF and INF. It will also have a vertical asymptote at x=0, where the function is undefined.