Help with senior high school physics problem please?

In summary, the two springs have different lengths, and when you pull on one, the other goes down by a distance as well. The relationship between the extension of the two springs and their spring constant is shown in this equation.
RickWinther
http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/s720x720/185062_10151033229627461_990741135_n.jpg

You have these two springs hooked on to each other, hanging vertically from the ceiling, neither of them have any weight and both are hanging to the same object and we need somehow to come to the conclusion that are circled (1/D = 1/D1 + 1/D2)... If you don't have time to write the whole thing at least show me where to start cause I'm lost..
p.s. there's no wind either..

Sorry for my bad translation but I'm from Greece so I'm not sure of what terms you would use in English, but I think you'll get it as you're pretty much veterans most of you :)

ooops its in the wrong category, not really sure how to move if anybody could help me..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the mass of the springs is neglected the elastic force should be same for each spring. What can you tell about the relationship between the total extension and the extension of each spring?

Well the only thing our teacher told us was that their normal lengths are not the same.. not really sure if it helps you :confused:

The question is if it helps you...
When you pull the bottom spring (by the weight attached there), the bottom goes down by some distance, let say x.
At the same time, each spring extends by some amount, let say x1 and x2.
What is the relationship between x, x1 and x2?
Once you realize this, you just need to write each extension in terms of the spring constant (and consider that the force is the same).

Aaaaa, I think i get it, so I will say:
Spring 1 extends by x1
Spring 2 x2
All in all x
So x1 + x2 = x
-F/D1 - F/D2 = -F/D
And then divide everything with -F ?
Or is this false?

This is it. It's OK.

Thanks! You're a lifesaver mate/sir

1. What is the best way to approach a senior high school physics problem?

The best way to approach a senior high school physics problem is to first read and understand the problem carefully. Then, break it down into smaller, manageable parts and identify the relevant concepts and formulas. Next, plug in the given values and solve the problem step by step. Finally, check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in senior high school physics?

The key to improving your problem-solving skills in senior high school physics is practice. The more problems you solve, the more you will become familiar with different types of questions and the better you will understand the concepts. Additionally, it is important to seek help from your teacher or peers if you are struggling with a particular problem or concept.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving senior high school physics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving senior high school physics problems include not reading the problem carefully, using incorrect formulas or concepts, and making calculation errors. It is important to double check your work and always go back to the given information to ensure you are using the correct values.

4. How can I apply the concepts I learn in senior high school physics to real-world situations?

Senior high school physics teaches you fundamental concepts and principles that can be applied to real-world situations. For example, understanding the laws of motion can help you understand how objects move in everyday life. Additionally, many careers in fields such as engineering, medicine, and technology require a strong foundation in physics.

5. What resources are available to help me with senior high school physics problems?

There are many resources available to help you with senior high school physics problems. Your teacher is a valuable resource and can provide guidance and clarification on concepts. Additionally, there are online tutorials, textbooks, and practice problems that you can use to supplement your learning. It can also be helpful to form study groups with peers to work through problems together.