Physics presentation ideas please for a senior in high school

• Thread starter joshwarner
  • Start date
joshwarner
Hi! I'm in my final year of high school and I need to present to a jury a 5 minute presentation on a physics question. I'm looking for a topic that would combine physics and everyday life , similar to explaining ball movement in a given sport through aerodynamics and movement trajectory. My preferred topics are mechanics and wave interference. Any suggestions for a question or topic, while keeping in mind that timing will be very limited? Thanks for your contributions!

Answers and Replies

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Structural coloration. This combines mechanics and wave interference and dispels the myth that the colors that people see are always the results of pigmentation.

• Informative
Likes Delta2, Lnewqban, PeroK and 1 other person
haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Structural coloration. This combines mechanics and wave interference and dispels the myth that the colors that people see are always the results of pigmentation.
Yes, colour is a rich area for things that people often get wrong.
- that although we have three colour receptor types, each is sensitive across a broad range of frequencies, just peaking differently.
- that because we only have those three, an infinity of different actual frequency combinations can produce any given colour sensation.
- that pigmentation is about absorbing frequencies, e.g. plants are green because they do not use the green part of the spectrum in photosynthesis.
- that even apart from structural coloration and pigmentation, a substance may look a different colour depending whether the light is reflected from it or filtered through it. I don't know what that is called.

joshwarner
Thank you so much for your answers, I ended up choosing to do my presentation on structural coloration.

• Love
Likes Delta2, berkeman, kuruman and 1 other person
kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Have you done the presentation? If yes, please tell us how it went. If no, good luck.

Suggested for: Physics presentation ideas please for a senior in high school