Physics presentation ideas please for a senior in high school

In summary: Structural coloration is a topic that combines mechanics and wave interference to dispel the myth that the colors people see are always the result of pigmentation. The topic is interesting and can be used in a presentation for a jury.
joshwarner
Hi! I'm in my final year of high school and I need to present to a jury a 5 minute presentation on a physics question. I'm looking for a topic that would combine physics and everyday life , similar to explaining ball movement in a given sport through aerodynamics and movement trajectory. My preferred topics are mechanics and wave interference. Any suggestions for a question or topic, while keeping in mind that timing will be very limited? Thanks for your contributions!

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Structural coloration. This combines mechanics and wave interference and dispels the myth that the colors that people see are always the results of pigmentation.

• Informative
Likes MatinSAR, Delta2, Lnewqban and 2 others
kuruman said:
Structural coloration. This combines mechanics and wave interference and dispels the myth that the colors that people see are always the results of pigmentation.
Yes, colour is a rich area for things that people often get wrong.
- that although we have three colour receptor types, each is sensitive across a broad range of frequencies, just peaking differently.
- that because we only have those three, an infinity of different actual frequency combinations can produce any given colour sensation.
- that pigmentation is about absorbing frequencies, e.g. plants are green because they do not use the green part of the spectrum in photosynthesis.
- that even apart from structural coloration and pigmentation, a substance may look a different colour depending whether the light is reflected from it or filtered through it. I don't know what that is called.

Likes Lnewqban
Thank you so much for your answers, I ended up choosing to do my presentation on structural coloration.

• Love
Likes Delta2, berkeman, kuruman and 1 other person
Have you done the presentation? If yes, please tell us how it went. If no, good luck.

Apologies for answering so late, completely forgot about this thread. It went really well, thanks a lot for your help, the questions I got at the end were in fact quite interesting and made me glad I chose that subject, despite not knowing much about structural coloration before that. Funnily enough, I have yet another physics subject to present for an exam next year and decided to delve into golf ball aerodynamics and dimple characteristics. Here's hoping it goes as well as the last!

Likes Tom.G, berkeman, dlgoff and 1 other person
joshwarner said:
##\dots~## and made me glad I chose that subject, despite not knowing much about structural coloration before that.
A subject worth learning about is one you know nothing about.

Likes Tom.G, SammyS, MatinSAR and 1 other person

What are some interesting topics for a high school physics presentation?

Some interesting topics for a high school physics presentation could include: the physics of roller coasters, the science behind sports and athletic performance, the physics of music and sound, the physics of flight, and the principles of energy and motion.

How can I make my physics presentation engaging and interactive?

To make your physics presentation engaging and interactive, you could incorporate demonstrations and experiments, use multimedia such as videos and animations, and encourage audience participation through questions and discussions. You could also consider incorporating real-life examples and applications of the concepts you are presenting.

What are some tips for effectively presenting complex physics concepts to a high school audience?

Some tips for effectively presenting complex physics concepts to a high school audience include using simple and clear language, breaking down the concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, and providing visual aids such as diagrams and graphs. It is also helpful to relate the concepts to real-life examples and applications to make them more relatable and understandable.

How can I incorporate technology into my physics presentation?

There are many ways to incorporate technology into your physics presentation. You could use interactive simulations, virtual reality experiences, or online resources to enhance your presentation and engage the audience. You could also use presentation software such as PowerPoint or Prezi to create visually appealing and informative slides.

What are some potential career paths for someone interested in physics?

There are numerous career paths for someone interested in physics, including research and development in industries such as aerospace, energy, and technology, teaching and academia, and various roles in government agencies and organizations. Some specific job titles in the field of physics include physicist, engineer, data analyst, and science educator.