Help with vector operator Del.

In summary, the Pauli theory of the electron involves the expression (p - eA)X(p - eA)ψ, where ψ is a scalar function and A is the magnetic vector potential related to the magnetic induction B by B = ∇XA. Given that p = -i∇, it can be shown that this expression reduces to ieBψ. However, the equation pXA = -AXp does not hold true in this case, as p and A do not commute. Therefore, another approach must be taken to solve this problem.
cesaruelas

Homework Statement

In the Pauli theory of the electron, one encounters the expresion:

(p - eA)X(p - eA

where ψ is a scalar function, and A is the magnetic vector potential related to the magnetic induction B by B = ∇XA. Given that p = -i∇, show that this expression reduces to ieBψ.

Homework Equations

pXp = 0 and AXA = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I've come to this:

-e(pXA + AXp

but I don't even have a clue where to go next since, for all I know,

pXA + AXp = -(AXp) + AXp = 0

?

Someone's got a clue what I should do next? Am I missing something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
cesaruelas said:

Homework Statement

In the Pauli theory of the electron, one encounters the expresion:

(p - eA)X(p - eA

where ψ is a scalar function, and A is the magnetic vector potential related to the magnetic induction B by B = ∇XA. Given that p = -i∇, show that this expression reduces to ieBψ.

Homework Equations

pXp = 0 and AXA = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I've come to this:

-e(pXA + AXp

but I don't even have a clue where to go next since, for all I know,

pXA + AXp = -(AXp) + AXp = 0

?

Someone's got a clue what I should do next? Am I missing something here?

xp-px isn't 0. That's not zero for the same reason. The vector potential is a function of x. x doesn't commute with the x component of the momentum operator.

Dick said:
xp-px isn't 0. That's not zero for the same reason. The vector potential is a function of x. x doesn't commute with the x component of the momentum operator.

Thank you! I got it now. But now I have another question:

Is

pXA = (-AXp + pXA)/2 or -AXp + pXA

I need to use this result to end up the problem but it would only work if the sencod result is true. I used -AXp = pXA to develop it but the 1/2 is not letting me move on with the problem in question.

cesaruelas said:
Thank you! I got it now. But now I have another question:

Is

pXA = (-AXp + pXA)/2 or -AXp + pXA

I need to use this result to end up the problem but it would only work if the sencod result is true. I used -AXp = pXA to develop it but the 1/2 is not letting me move on with the problem in question.

Don't know. I don't know why you think either one is true.

Dick said:
Don't know. I don't know why you think either one is true.

pXA = -AXppXA = (pXA + pXA)/2 = (-AXp + pXA)/2

cesaruelas said:
pXA = -AXppXA = (pXA + pXA)/2 = (-AXp + pXA)/2

But p x A isn't generally equal to -A x p. It's true for constant vectors because the components of constant vectors are constant and they commute. p is a vector of differential operators and A is a vector of functions of position. They don't commute.

Dick said:
But p x A isn't generally equal to -A x p. It's true for constant vectors because the components of constant vectors are constant and they commute. p is a vector of differential operators and A is a vector of functions of position. They don't commute.

Maaaaaaan, you're right. I guess I'll have to find another way to solve this then. Thank you!

1. What is the vector operator Del?

The vector operator Del, denoted by ∇, is a mathematical operator used in vector calculus to represent the gradient, divergence, and curl of a vector field. It is a vector consisting of the partial derivative operators with respect to each coordinate direction.

2. How is the vector operator Del used in physics?

In physics, the vector operator Del is used to describe and solve problems in fields such as electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and quantum mechanics. It is used to calculate the rate of change of a physical quantity in a given direction, the flux of a vector field, and the circulation of a vector field.

3. What are the different operations performed by the vector operator Del?

The vector operator Del can perform three main operations: the gradient, divergence, and curl. The gradient measures the rate of change of a scalar quantity, the divergence measures the flux of a vector field, and the curl measures the rotation of a vector field.

4. How is the vector operator Del represented in different coordinate systems?

The vector operator Del can be represented in Cartesian, cylindrical, and spherical coordinate systems. In Cartesian coordinates, it is represented as ∇ = ∂/∂x i + ∂/∂y j + ∂/∂z k. In cylindrical coordinates, it is represented as ∇ = (1/ρ)∂/∂ρ + (1/ρ)∂/∂φ + ∂/∂z k. In spherical coordinates, it is represented as ∇ = (1/r)∂/∂r + (1/r sinθ)∂/∂θ + (1/r sinθ)∂/∂φ k.

5. What are some common applications of the vector operator Del in engineering?

The vector operator Del is commonly used in engineering to solve problems related to fluid flow, heat transfer, and stress analysis. It is also used in computer graphics and computer vision to calculate gradients and image features, and in robotics to calculate the motion and velocity of robotic systems.