1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with vector space of real value functions

1. Feb 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The set of all real-valued functions f defined everywhere on the real line and such that f(4) = 0, with the operations (f+g)(x)=f(x)+g(x) and (kf)(x)=kf(x)
    verify if all axioms hold true.

2. Relevant equations
    Axioms 1 and 6 These closure axioms require that if we add two functions that are defined at each x in the interval , then sums and scalar multiples of those functions are also defined at each x in the interval.

Axiom 4 This axiom requires that there exists a function 0 in , which when added to any other function f in produces f back again as the result. The function, whose value at every point x in the interval is zero, has this property. Geometrically, the graph of the function 0 is the line that coincides with the x-axis.

Axiom 5 This axiom requires that for each function fin there exists a function —f in , which when added to f produces the function 0. The function defined by has this property. The graph of can be obtained by reflecting the graph of f about the x-axis

Axioms 2,3,7,8,9,10 The validity of each of these axioms follows from properties of real numbers. For example, if f and g are functions in , then Axiom 2 requires that . This follows from the computation
    (f+g)(x)=f(x)+g(x)=g(x)+f(x)=(g+f)(x)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I couldn't find a good example in my textbook so I kinda don't know how to start this problem. Help is much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know which numbers are which axioms but I will give you a hint on getting started. To show closure under addition you have to start with f and g in your set and show f + g is in your set. Obviously if f and g are functions on R then so is f+g. The only question is whether (f+g)(4) = 0. Does it? Etc.

4. Feb 20, 2013 #3
    Thanks for trying to help LCKurtz. I still don't quite understand it though.
    (f+g)(4)=f(4)+g(4)=0? I don't know what to use for f or g equation wise so I don't know how I'm suppose to plug in 4.

5. Feb 20, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your set of functions are any real valued functions on R with the property that f(4) = 0. So if you start with f and g in your set, you are given that f(4)=0 and g(4)= 0 because that is what your set is. If you want to know if their sum is in your set you have to check if the sum's value at 4 is 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook