Hendo Hoverboard 2.0: From Science Fiction to Fact

• Thread starter gopolks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hoverboard
In summary, there has been significant progress in the development of real hoverboards since the release of a prop replica by Mattel a few years ago. Despite initial skepticism and dismissal of the idea as science fiction, companies such as Hendo and Lexus have successfully created levitating skateboards using superconducting magnets and electromagnetic tracks. While not yet practical for everyday use, these advancements in technology have brought the concept of hoverboards from the realm of science fiction to reality.
gopolks
A few years ago I came on this board after Mattel released a prop replica. I suggested maybe a real Hoverboard will be invented. I was told in no uncertain terms, that I was talking science fiction and this was a Physics forum.

With Hendo announcing today a 2.0 version of their hoverboard. How did it go for being science fiction to fact.

What advancements were made? Yeah I know it won't work outside etc etc. But to get to this point this quickly seems pretty amazing.

Physics news on Phys.org
gopolks said:
A few years ago I came on this board after Mattel released a prop replica. I suggested maybe a real Hoverboard will be invented. I was told in no uncertain terms, that I was talking science fiction and this was a Physics forum.

With Hendo announcing today a 2.0 version of their hoverboard. How did it go for being science fiction to fact.

What advancements were made? Yeah I know it won't work outside etc etc. But to get to this point this quickly seems pretty amazing.

Link?

Are you talking about the superconducting hoverboard (yeah, not practical for anything), or the mini-Segue hoverboard thing?

gopolks said:

It turns out there really is such a thing as a levitating skateboard. Indeed, it is possible to make a low-tech version yourself. All you have to do is cut a circle of plywood and drill a hole in it. Strap a leaf blower to your back. Stick the blower's output into the hole. Hoverboard! You can't do much with it other than go straight down a hill, but hoverboard sho nuff. A more polished version is available from MrHoverboard.

The most practical design so far might be a hoverboard that powered by a Jet Ski. Connect a hose from the exhaust from the ski to a wakeboard. Those Back To The Future moves are available on this thing. It looks like a ton 'o fun, and if you already own a Jet Ski then it should be quite cheap. Unless it is too hard or too dangerous to do, it's a surefire hit with the thrillseeker crowd of wake and kite boarders.

Truly levitating hoverboards with superconducting magnets are available. One is made by Hendo. The big disadvantage is that it only levitates over a sheet of copper or something like that. It also makes a horrible noise. But it works, and it would be possible to build a skatepark out of copper. You can always wear earplugs.

Japan automobile company Toyota has gotten into the act with its own Lexus superconducting hoverboard. Nope, this video is not a fake, that skate park really exists in Cubelles, Spain. What it doesn't show you is that there is an electromagnetic track under the concrete and water. So the board only levitates over that, and all you can do is follow the track. The hoverboard is difficult to balance on to ride, and can't be steered. But it's a start. And those nitrogen vapors coming out of the board are, well, supercool.

Likes berkeman

1. How does the Hendo Hoverboard 2.0 actually hover?

The Hendo Hoverboard 2.0 uses four disc-shaped hover engines that create magnetic fields, allowing it to levitate and move above a conductive surface such as copper or aluminum. This technology is known as magnetic levitation or "maglev".

2. What is the maximum weight the Hendo Hoverboard 2.0 can support?

The Hendo Hoverboard 2.0 can support up to 300 pounds of weight. However, it is recommended to stay within the weight limit of 250 pounds for optimal performance and safety.

3. How does the Hendo Hoverboard 2.0 stay balanced?

The Hendo Hoverboard 2.0 uses a sophisticated control system that constantly monitors and adjusts the power to each hover engine, keeping the board balanced and stable. This allows the rider to control the movement of the board with their body movements.

4. How long does the battery last on the Hendo Hoverboard 2.0?

The battery life of the Hendo Hoverboard 2.0 depends on usage, but on average it can last for about 15 minutes of continuous use. It takes about 2 hours to fully charge the battery.

5. Can the Hendo Hoverboard 2.0 be used on any surface?

The Hendo Hoverboard 2.0 can only be used on conductive surfaces such as copper or aluminum. It will not work on regular surfaces like concrete or wood. However, there are plans to develop a special surface that can be installed in public spaces for the Hendo Hoverboard 2.0 to be used on.