HeNe Laser Power Supply Components

In summary, Dave salvaged a Melles-Griot HeNe laser from an FTIR system and needs to find additional control electronics to get it working. He is more unfamiliar with the HV part of the supply.
teroenza
I recently salvaged a Melles-Griot HeNe laser from an FTIR system. I neglected to save any of the electronics except for what I think is the step-up transformer attached to the laser tube. The laser is "05-LSC-708-540" and the transformer is "05-LPM-850-045".

I have a 12V power supply, but was wondering I need to also come up with additional control electronics, like a current controller, to get the laser to work. There are only two wires going to the transformer (+12V and ground).

I see at the link below, that I should get a fuse in case things go wrong.

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserhsc.htm#hscmg1

Engineering news on Phys.org
teroenza said:
There are only two wires going to the transformer (+12V and ground).

since transformers don't operate with DC voltage, There will be more components needed ...
an oscillator to convert the 12V DC to AC to feed to the transformer
The red and black HV+ and - leads out the right side will be most likely in the order of 500 - 1500V DC
check the datasheet spec's for the tube for a more accurate voltage recommendation
There will be AC off the secondary of the transformer that, most likely, is rectified by one or more diodes
to produce the HV DC for the tube

do some googling for the tubes datasheet, It may even have a recommended power supply schematic included

Dave

Sorry, should have mentioned that the foil-wrapped brick attache to the tube also has "Input:12VDC WMAX:9 Hz:N/A Output: 1.10-1.50KVDC 4.5mA" written on it, so it likely has the oscillator and rectifier built in. The beefy wires that I assume are the HV leads are affixed already to the laser tube.

It does have a small purple wire labeled CDRH that is looped back on itself. From here: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserhps.htm#hpsrtc0

I think that that purple wire is a turn-on delay.

How familiar are you with laser safety ?

That's a 5mw laser so check local regulations to be sure you can legally own one,
and never point it skyward because you don't know where the airplanes are.. it's a big deal to pilots when a laser beam comes through the windshield.

Sorry if you're an old hand. but you didn't say.

I'm a physics graduate student in a lab that routinely uses 18W IR lasers, and I bought some cheap ~633nm laser goggles. I know of no regulations prohibiting such a low power laser in my area. I am more unfamiliar with the HV part of the supply, but with the leads going right into the tube, I don't plan on messing with that part.

Likes jim hardy

1. What is a HeNe laser power supply?

A HeNe laser power supply is a specialized electronic circuit that provides the high voltage and current needed to power a helium-neon (HeNe) laser. It converts standard AC power from an outlet into the specific DC voltage and current required by the laser tube.

2. What components are typically included in a HeNe laser power supply?

A HeNe laser power supply typically includes a transformer, rectifier, capacitor, and voltage regulator. Some power supplies may also include additional components such as an inductor, filter, and safety features like fuses or circuit breakers.

3. How does a HeNe laser power supply work?

A HeNe laser power supply works by converting the AC input power into DC output power using a transformer, rectifier, and capacitor. The DC voltage is then regulated and adjusted to the specific voltage and current requirements of the laser tube, providing a steady and reliable power source for the laser to operate.

4. What are the main factors to consider when choosing a HeNe laser power supply?

When choosing a HeNe laser power supply, it is important to consider the output voltage and current requirements of your specific laser tube, as well as the overall power and efficiency of the power supply. Other factors to consider include safety features, size and weight, and compatibility with your laser system.

5. Are all HeNe laser power supplies compatible with any HeNe laser tube?

No, not all HeNe laser power supplies are compatible with any HeNe laser tube. Each laser tube has specific voltage and current requirements, and the power supply must be able to provide these in order for the laser to operate correctly. It is important to match the power supply with the specific laser tube to ensure compatibility and proper functioning.