Here I made a very simple motor

• Thread starter The legend
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor
In summary, the conversation discusses making a simple motor from a science experiment book and the use of an iron core and better brushes for improved performance. The conversation also touches on the working principle of a motor and how it relates to electrical charges in motion and the Lorentz force.
The legend
Look ... here I made a very simple motor ...(many of you guys might have made a more developed version though and could help me by showing your models too ...) which I saw from a science experiment book.

[PLAIN]http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/139/expt.png

But the thing is the book doesn't say how it works or why!
So could anyone please tell me the same?
And also I have seen DC motors... how come they are that small but more fast?(What is inside them??)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

[PLAIN]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/714/coolstorybro.gif

lol.

For your next motor, try an iron core for the coil. It improves the magnetic field inside the loops and you get more kick from your motor. Also construct better brushes because the coil will be heavier and can't stand on just the wires.

Good job mate, best of luck!

P.S. Now I see you asked something at the bottom. The reason it works is because when a current exists in a wire, it is essentially electrical charges in motion. When a charge moves in a magnetic field it experiences a force. When you have them in a loop you get a torque. The reason you strip off half of the wire is to get switching on and off, otherwise you'd have an oscillating motor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_force

Last edited by a moderator:

Umm... what is an iron core for the coil? Is it an iron coil ?

wrap your wire around a bolt or a piece of iron. If you can find iron coins (which i doubt) you can make a coin stack. Or find steel washers and stack them.

Ok will try it out!
Thanks!

What materials do I need to make a simple motor?

To make a simple motor, you will need a battery, copper wire, a magnet, a small piece of cardboard, and a paperclip.

How does a simple motor work?

A simple motor works by using the magnetic field created by a magnet to interact with the electric current flowing through the copper wire. This interaction creates a force that causes the wire to move and ultimately turns the motor.

Can I make a motor with other types of magnets?

Yes, you can use other types of magnets such as neodymium or ceramic magnets. However, the strength of the magnetic field may affect the overall performance of the motor.

What is the purpose of the paperclip in the motor?

The paperclip acts as a support for the wire and helps to keep it in place. It also serves as a connection between the wire and the battery.

Can I adjust the speed of the motor?

Yes, you can adjust the speed of the motor by changing the number of turns in the copper wire or by using a different magnet with a stronger or weaker magnetic field.