1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hermitian Of An Operator

1. Aug 27, 2007 #1
    How can i show that [tex](a_{1} A_{1}+a_{2} A_{2})^{\dagger}=a_{1}^{\ast} A_{1}^{\dagger}+a_{2}^{\ast} A_{2}^{\dagger}[/tex]

notice: [tex]a_{1},a_{2}\in C[/tex] and [tex]A_{1}^{\dagger},A_{2}^{\dagger}[/tex] are hermitian conjugate of [tex]A_{1},A_{2} [/tex] operators

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2007 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use the [itex]\dagger [/itex] to denote the adjoint. Since you're considering the case of bounded operators, just apply the definition of the adjoint operator for a bounded operator.

4. Aug 27, 2007 #3
    Thanks But ?

Thank you for your correction.

I want to know that to show this equations must i use boundered operator.Can i use unbounded (going to +-infinity) operator to show this.

5. Aug 27, 2007 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let's take for example [itex] A_{1}, A_{2}:\mathcal{H}\longrightarrow \mathcal{H} [/itex] and [itex] \phi,\psi\in\mathcal{H} [/itex]. Then the adjoints of the operators exist and are defined everywhere in [itex]\mathcal{H}[/itex] and the same could be said of the sum operator and its adjoint.

[tex]\langle \phi,left(a_{1}A_{1}+a_{2}A_{2}\right)\psi\rangle [/tex] is the object that you should start from.

6. Aug 28, 2007 #5
    I tried something.Is it regular?

[tex]\left\langle\phi|(a_{1}A_{1}+a_{2}A_{2})^{\dagger}\psi\right\rangle = \left\langle(a_{1}A_{1}+a_{2}A_{2}) \phi|\psi\right\rangle[/tex] then [tex]\left\langle\phi|(a_{1}A_{1}+a_{2}A_{2})^{\dagger}\psi\right\rangle =\left\langle(a_{1}A_{1})\phi|\psi\right\rangle + \left\langle(a_{2}A_{2})\phi|\psi\right\rangle [/tex] so [tex]\left\langle\phi|(a_{1}A_{1}+a_{2}A_{2})^{\dagger}\psi\right\rangle =a_{1}^\ast \left\langle A_{1}\phi|\psi\right\rangle + a_{2}^\ast \left\langle A_{2}\phi|\psi\right\rangle [/tex] in the end
    [tex]\left\langle\phi|(a_{1} A_{1}+a_{2}A_{2})^{\dagger}\psi\right\rangle =a_{1}^\ast \left\langle \phi|A_{1}^\dagger \psi\right\rangle + a_{2}^\ast \left\langle \phi|A_{2}^\dagger \psi\right\rangle [/tex] becauuse of [tex] a \left\langle\phi| \psi\right\rangle = \left\langle\phi|a \psi\right\rangle [/tex](a is complex constant) we can write [tex]\left\langle\phi|(a_{1} A_{1}+a_{2}A_{2})^{\dagger}\psi\right\rangle = \left\langle \phi|a_{1}^\ast A_{1}^\dagger \psi\right\rangle + \left\langle \phi|a_{2}^\ast A_{2}^\dagger \psi\right\rangle [/tex] in the end [tex]\left\langle\phi|(a_{1} A_{1}+a_{2}A_{2})^{\dagger}\psi\right\rangle = \left\langle \phi|(a_{1}^\ast A_{1}^\dagger + a_{2}^\ast A_{2}^\dagger) \psi\right\rangle [/tex]. we 've showed that [tex](a_{1} A_{1}+a_{2}A_{2})^{\dagger} = a_{1}^\ast A_{1}^\dagger + a_{2}^\ast A_{2}^\dagger [/tex]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  7. Aug 28, 2007 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks okay. For the first equality that you wrote you used that [itex] A^{\dagger\dagger}=A [/itex] which is okay for bounded operators in Hilbert spaces.

8. Aug 29, 2007 #7
    Thank you for your help. see you later in another problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?