1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hermitian operator- Problem

1. Oct 20, 2013 #1
    Prove the equation

[itex]A\left|\psi\right\rangle = \left\langle A\right\rangle\left|\psi\right\rangle + \Delta A\left|\psi\bot\right\rangle[/itex]

where [itex] A[/itex] is a Hermitian operator and [itex] \left\langle\psi |\psi\bot\right\rangle = 0[/itex]

[itex]\left\langle A\right\rangle[/itex] = The expectation value of A.
    [itex]\Delta A[/itex] = The standard deviation of A.

My attempt :

I tried to write [itex]\left|\psi\right\rangle[/itex] as a superposition of the eigenfuncion of the operator [itex] A [/itex] and used the fact that it's a Hermitian operator

[itex]A\left|\phi_{n}\right\rangle = \lambda_{n}\left|\phi_{n}\right\rangle[/itex] , [itex]\left|\psi\right\rangle = \sum a_{n}\left|\phi_{n}\right\rangle[/itex]

so that [itex]A\left|\psi\right\rangle = \sum a_{n}\lambda_{n}\left|\phi_{n}\right\rangle[/itex]

and [itex]\left\langle A\right\rangle = \sum |a_{n}|^{2}\lambda_{n} [/itex]

[itex]\Delta A = \sqrt{\left\langle A^{2}\right\rangle - \left\langle A\right\rangle ^{2}}[/itex]

and I wrote [itex]\left|\psi\bot\right\rangle[/itex] as [itex]\left|\psi\bot\right\rangle = \sum b_{n}\left|\phi_{n}\right\rangle[/itex]

[itex]\sum a^{*}_{n}b_{n} = 0[/itex]

I don't know how to go on from here...
    any ideas?

thank you! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2013 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmm, using that the s-adj A has a purely discrete spectrum is not ok, it's not assumed in the problem. And I think you left out a square. I get

[tex] A\psi = \langle A \rangle \psi + (\Delta A)^2 \psi_{\perp} [/tex]

under the simplifying assumptions [itex] \psi_{\perp} \in D(A)[/itex] and [itex] \mbox{Ran}(A)\subset D(A) [/itex].

4. Oct 20, 2013 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first step I found to resolution is to calculate:

[tex]\langle \psi,(A-\langle A\rangle ) \psi\rangle [/tex]

What do you get and what do you conclude ?

5. Oct 20, 2013 #4
    I didn't miss the squar.. this is the question.
    you get wrong units if you put the squar there ...

6. Oct 20, 2013 #5
    this yields zero .. i didn't understand how it can help me

thank you

7. Oct 20, 2013 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If it yields zero, then the vector in the rhs of the scalar product is perpendicular on psi, so it's psi perp times a non-zero constant.

8. Oct 20, 2013 #7
    I don't understand something -
    there are lots of functions that can be perpendicular to psi

e.g (euclidean space)- the vector z (cartesian coordinates) , x is prep to z and y is prep to z but also the superposition (x+y) is prep to z.

so by writing psi prep do u mean to the superposition of all the functions that prep to psi or it's enough to choose only one?

9. Oct 21, 2013 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, Psi_perp is an arbitrary vector perpendicular to the psi already chosen. You get from ⟨ψ,(A−⟨A⟩)ψ⟩ = 0 that C psi_perp = A psi - <A> psi. All you need to show is that C is related to the standard deviation in square.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted