Hermitian operators in QM and QFT

In summary: If they are self-adjoint then loosely yes. Otherwise not, such as in the case of Fermion fields where only bilinears like ##\bar{\psi}\psi## are observable.
WWCY
TL;DR Summary
"Apparatus"? Or not?
I have always learned that a Hermitian operator in non-relativistic QM can be treated as an "experimental apparatus" ie unitary transformation, measurement, etc.

However this makes less sense to me in QFT. A second-quantised EM field for instance, has field operators associated with each spatial point; to think that there is some "apparatus" at every point in space seems slightly absurd (to me at least).

How I think of these field operators? Can I think of them as "fundamental" objects that (as part of a Hamiltonian) govern the evolution of Fock-space states by creating and annihilating particles (if so, how then does one think of the trajectory of a relativistic particle)? Are there any cases in which these field operators actually correspond to experimental apparatus?

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
WWCY said:
A second-quantised EM field for instance, has field operators associated with each spatial point

No, associated with each spacetime point. See below.

WWCY said:
to think that there is some "apparatus" at every point in space seems slightly absurd (to me at least)

The fact that an operator appears in the math does not mean that operator has to be physically realized. A given quantum EM field operator corresponds to measuring the field at the particular spacetime point (some point in space at some instant of time) the operator is attached to. So to model measuring the quantum EM field at a particular point in space at a particular instant of time, you just pick the particular operator that is attached to that spacetime point and use that one to make predictions.

Likes bhobba and WWCY
WWCY said:
However this makes less sense to me in QFT. A second-quantised EM field for instance, has field operators associated with each spatial point; to think that there is some "apparatus" at every point in space seems slightly absurd (to me at least).

In non-relativistic QM, using the Heisenberg picture, the position and momentum operators evolve simultaneously in time. However, the idea of simultaneous position and momentum measurements is absurd. So the operator evolving in time does not correspond to the measurement being made.

WWCY said:
Summary: "Apparatus"? Or not?

However this makes less sense to me in QFT. A second-quantised EM field for instance, has field operators associated with each spatial point; to think that there is some "apparatus" at every point in space seems slightly absurd (to me at least)
##\phi(x)## is not an operator, it's smeared version is:
$$\phi\left(f\right) = \int{\phi\left(x\right)f\left(x\right)d^{4}x}$$
where ##f## is a function that decays quickly (I can be more precise if you want), possibly vanishing outside of a compact region. Thus there are operators associated with weighted regions, not points.

Likes bhobba, vanhees71 and dextercioby
Thanks for the replies

DarMM said:
##\phi(x)## is not an operator, it's smeared version is:
$$\phi\left(f\right) = \int{\phi\left(x\right)f\left(x\right)d^{4}x}$$
where ##f## is a function that decays quickly (I can be more precise if you want), possibly vanishing outside of a compact region. Thus there are operators associated with weighted regions, not points.
Demystifier said:
For that purpose you can us smeared field operators.

Can these smeared field-operators then be treated as "measurement devices" that are associated with a certain region rather than each point in spacetime?

Cheers.

WWCY said:
Can these smeared field-operators then be treated as "measurement devices" that are associated with a certain region rather than each point in spacetime?
Loosely speaking, yes.

WWCY said:
If they are self-adjoint then loosely yes. Otherwise not, such as in the case of Fermion fields where only bilinears like ##\bar{\psi}\psi## are observable.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a Hermitian operator in quantum mechanics and quantum field theory?

A Hermitian operator is a mathematical object used in quantum mechanics and quantum field theory to represent physical observables, such as position, momentum, or energy. It is defined as an operator that is equal to its own conjugate transpose, meaning that its matrix elements are complex conjugates of each other.

2. What are the properties of a Hermitian operator?

A Hermitian operator has several important properties, including: it has real eigenvalues, its eigenvectors form an orthonormal basis, and it is self-adjoint, meaning it is equal to its own adjoint (conjugate transpose). It also satisfies the Hermiticity condition, which states that the expectation value of a Hermitian operator is always real.

3. How are Hermitian operators used in quantum mechanics and quantum field theory?

Hermitian operators are used to represent physical observables in quantum mechanics and quantum field theory. They play a crucial role in calculating the probabilities of different outcomes of measurements and in determining the time evolution of a quantum system. They also help to describe the symmetries and conservation laws in these theories.

4. Can all operators in quantum mechanics and quantum field theory be represented as Hermitian operators?

No, not all operators can be represented as Hermitian operators. In order for an operator to be Hermitian, it must satisfy certain mathematical conditions, such as being self-adjoint and having real eigenvalues. Operators that do not meet these conditions, such as non-observable operators, cannot be represented as Hermitian operators.

5. What is the significance of Hermitian operators in quantum mechanics and quantum field theory?

Hermitian operators are crucial in quantum mechanics and quantum field theory as they represent physical observables and play a key role in calculations and predictions. They also have important implications for the symmetries and conservation laws in these theories. Additionally, the Hermiticity condition ensures that the results obtained from these operators are physically meaningful and consistent with experimental observations.