Hermitian operators in spherical coordinates

Your Name]In summary, to show that an operator expressed in spherical coordinates is Hermitian, you can follow a similar approach as you would for an operator expressed in Cartesian coordinates. The key is to remember that the Hermitian property of an operator is equivalent to its adjoint being equal to its complex conjugate. If the operator has no r or theta dependence, the integral will be trivial and the operator will be automatically Hermitian. However, in more complex cases, you will need to perform the integral and show that it is equal to its complex conjugate.
noospace
Hi,

I have a general question. How do I show that an operator expressed in spherical coordinates is Hermitian? e.g. suppose i have the operator [itex]i \partial /\partial \phi[/itex]. If the operator was a function of x I know exactly what to do, just check

[itex]\int_\mathbb{R} \psi_l^\ast \hat{A} \psi_m dx = \int_\mathbb{R} (\hat{A} \psi_l)^\ast \psi_m dx[/itex].

Do i need to check that

[itex]\int\int\int Y_{lm}^\ast \hat{A} Y_{lm} r^2\sin\theta d\theta\d\phi dr= \int\int\int (\hat{A}Y_{lm})^\ast Y_{lm} r^2\sin\theta d\theta\d\phi dr[/itex]

or is there a simpler way?

[EDIT: I figured it out. The operator I have has no r or theta dependence so the integral is trivial.]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

To show that an operator expressed in spherical coordinates is Hermitian, you can follow a similar approach as you would for an operator expressed in Cartesian coordinates. The key is to remember that the Hermitian property of an operator is equivalent to its adjoint being equal to its complex conjugate.

In this case, to show that the operator i \partial /\partial \phi is Hermitian, you can start by writing out its adjoint, which is -i \partial /\partial \phi. Then, you can use the definition of the inner product in spherical coordinates to show that the integral

\int\int\int Y_{lm}^\ast \hat{A} Y_{lm} r^2\sin\theta d\theta\d\phi dr

is equal to its complex conjugate. This will prove that the operator is Hermitian.

As you mentioned, if the operator has no r or theta dependence, the integral will be trivial and the operator will be automatically Hermitian. However, in more complex cases where the operator does have r and/or theta dependence, you will need to perform the integral and show that it is equal to its complex conjugate.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

FAQ: Hermitian operators in spherical coordinates

1. What are Hermitian operators in spherical coordinates?

Hermitian operators in spherical coordinates are mathematical operators that describe physical properties, such as position, momentum, and energy, in a spherical coordinate system. They play a crucial role in quantum mechanics and are used to solve problems in spherical symmetry.

2. How do Hermitian operators behave in spherical coordinates?

In spherical coordinates, Hermitian operators behave differently than in Cartesian coordinates. They are usually expressed as a combination of the radial, angular, and azimuthal components, and their eigenfunctions are given by spherical harmonics.

3. What is the significance of Hermitian operators in quantum mechanics?

Hermitian operators play a central role in quantum mechanics as they represent observable physical quantities, such as position, momentum, and energy. They have real eigenvalues and their eigenfunctions form a complete set, allowing for the calculation of the probability of measuring a particular value for a given physical property.

4. How are Hermitian operators related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty, is related to Hermitian operators. In particular, the commutator of two Hermitian operators represents the uncertainty in measuring two physical properties simultaneously.

5. Can Hermitian operators be used in other coordinate systems?

Yes, Hermitian operators can be used in other coordinate systems, such as cylindrical or spherical polar coordinates. However, the specific form of the operators and their eigenfunctions will depend on the coordinate system being used.