Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hey New Member!

1. May 11, 2008 #1
    Hey everybody, I'd thought I would introduce myself:

I live in NH. I go to school in Massachusetts though. I'm an undergrad at WPI, and I am an applied math major (although I'm thinking about double majoring in physics and math). Next year I'm going to be a sophomore, and I will most certainly put in a lot more time into school (something which I should have done right from the beginning, but oh well...).

Anyways, my interests include playing chess (competitively), playing video games (also competitive in that area too), and of course science and math. I also like to read and watch science fiction.

I am what some people would call an uber nerd, but that does not bother me one bit.

As to how I found your site I actually have been a lurker for a long while. I sign up at Hypography not to long ago, but I didn't like it much; it isn't very professional and too many idiots are around. This site seems a lot better in those terms from a quick glance. Of course, I see that there are a lot of people here that know a lot more than I do about science, so don't mind me if I say something completely stupid every now and then, I'm still trying to learn this science thing....

Well, that's all there is to know about me. Hope to have fun on your forums!

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2008 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then you know what's coming next. Name your favorite fish...

4. May 11, 2008 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Hint: pick a little fish! Not a big one with pointy appendages, coarse skin, or spines.

5. May 11, 2008 #4
    Can I choose a guppy?

6. May 11, 2008 #5
    Why of course you can <thwit> <thwit> <thwit> {on the tip of your nose}. I must say, good choice. You were lucky I re-checked the thread, I almost pulled out the frozen 18 pound Grouper.
    Welcome!

7. May 11, 2008 #6
    What is this whole fish slap thing?

8. May 11, 2008 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's a very strange welcoming ritual.

Welcome, Trantor!

mcknia07, have you been fish-slapped yet? What's your favorite fish?

9. May 11, 2008 #8
    It has become a traditional welcome to the forum. Someone will whack you over the head with a frozen fish. You got lucky mcknia07 the fish is usually a frozen mackerel. :smile:

Welocme to the forum there are a lot of wonderful people here.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  10. May 11, 2008 #9
    Nope, I have not. I like beta fish, they are pretty!!!!

11. May 11, 2008 #10
    I have found many wonderful people already, thanks to everyone being so friendly. Never have I felt so welcome :biggrin:

12. May 11, 2008 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fish-slapping is traditionaly done by hypatia, Evo, or Moonbear...they'll get you as soon as they notice this post!

13. May 11, 2008 #12
    Ok, lol....... I know someone else on here that didn't know about it either, lol, we are lost. But, ok, I get it now, just have to get him then, lol :biggrin:

14. May 11, 2008 #13

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Trantor.
    Originally, one was just directed to the 'Welcome Tent' and presented with a fish. The ritual has mutated horribly in the past few years. :eek:

15. May 11, 2008 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okey dokey, one betta fish whacking coming up!
    Thwap!
    Sorry for the tardy welcome.

16. May 11, 2008 #15

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Oooh, excellent choice!! Blue or red?

17. May 11, 2008 #16
    For sure a blue one

18. May 11, 2008 #17

Evo

Hey, have you noticed we seem to have broken the curse? For a while there everyone that introduced themselves were never seen again.

19. May 11, 2008 #18
    Well that's good then. I plan to stick around for a while, you might get tired of me too :biggrin: I love it here, and I'm learning too, which is even better.

20. May 11, 2008 #19

Evo

I see Moonbear already thwipped you. That's ok, we need to make sure it's a blue.

<thwip, thwip, thwip>

21. May 11, 2008 #20
    Thanks for that, lol. I feel even more welcome now :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?