Hi guys I hope with your help I will be successful

• Thread starter jono240
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties of explaining concepts in physics and the need for improvement in answers. The conversation also touches upon the law of conservation of momentum and the explanation of internal and external forces. The topic of using a fan to move a boat is also mentioned, with differing opinions on the explanation given. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of clear and concise explanations in physics.
jono240
Hi guys. I'd like to make an introduction somewhere but there doesn't seem to be a forum for that here. Basically I am an older student who, despite having low grades all throughout school, always loved science. I decided to go back to adult school to upgrade my marks and then go to university for geology. I'd like to discuss geology and career paths but I will do that on the other topics on this forum.
So far I am doing alright in grade 12 physics. I've jumped into to grade 12 physics without grade 11 and its definitely harder than I thought, but of course it all depends on how much work you put into it. Everything is in the book and I've had no problem learning from that. Right now were on chapter 5 which is about the law of conservation of energy, keplers laws, planetary motion, stuff like that. I have no problems so far but when I do run into problems Il ask here.

I do however need help with communication. I have 4 questions from my last test that just need an explanation but I only got half marks for them. My teacher said that if I can give her a better explanation for these question, she will give me these marks back, plus an extra 10 marks for having corrected everything on that test. (shes really nice like that haha)
Il start with the first question
Define "internal force" and "external force" and explain how these terms relate to the law of conservation of momentum.

My answer: Internal forces are all the forces contained in a system where external forces cannot affect them. External forces are all the forces outside of a system. These forces relate to the law of conservation of momentum because if a system is not isolated and external forces can affect the internal forces of that system, they will affect the momentum of that system as well.

I got only half marks for that. I guess she's looking for some algebra to prove it maybe, or in better words? I am not sure.

Any advice/help on this this would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Define "internal force" and "external force" and explain how these terms relate to the law of conservation of momentum.

My answer: Internal forces are all the forces contained in a system where external forces cannot affect them. External forces are all the forces outside of a system. These forces relate to the law of conservation of momentum because if a system is not isolated and external forces can affect the internal forces of that system, they will affect the momentum of that system as well."

I believe you have neglected to mention that the momentum must be conserved in the internal system as well, this and your final statement may be a bit confusing. Try re writing this in bullet points.

gash789 said:
I believe you have neglected to mention that the momentum must be conserved in the internal system as well, this and your final statement may be a bit confusing. Try re writing this in bullet points.

Ya Il have to rewrite it better I guess. Shes tough when it comes to explanations. You have to explain it as a physicist would you know. I am looking at my answers and they seem to make perfect sence. For example one of the questions is blowing air into a sail.. would it work or not and explain.

I wrote: This would not work because of recoil. The fan attached to the boat is pushing air in one direction and thus giving the air momentum, therefore the boat will move in the opposite direction according to the law of conservation of momentum (if the water friction is negligible). For this to work, they would have to turn the fan around, facing the back of the boat and that will give it forward momentum.

Is that not a perfect answer?

Hi, well there is no such thing as a perfect answer really as it will depend on who you are addressing it two. And you should always consider that whatever work you do, it can always be improved that is just the nature of the world.

While this answer is coherent, and logical I will try to suggest an alternative. Please remember this is only my opinion just to give you some ideas and in no way meant to be a perfect answer

I wrote: This would not work because of recoil. The fan attached to the boat is pushing air in one direction and thus giving the air momentum, therefore the boat will move in the opposite direction according to the law of conservation of momentum (if the water friction is negligible). For this to work, they would have to turn the fan around, facing the back of the boat and that will give it forward momentum.

My version would read: For a fan attached to a boat, blowing into the sail, the system is closed. Therefore the overall momentum, of the system must be conserved. The boat will have zero acceleration, since there is no external forces, and hence there will be no change in motion due to the fan.

gash789 said:
Hi, well there is no such thing as a perfect answer really as it will depend on who you are addressing it two. And you should always consider that whatever work you do, it can always be improved that is just the nature of the world.

True.. Thanks for the input man. Il keep your explanation in mind as I try to persuade her to give me the marks :D

1. How can I be successful?

Success can be achieved through hard work, determination, and a positive mindset. It is important to set goals, stay focused, and never give up on your dreams.

2. What kind of help do I need?

The type of help you need will depend on your specific goals and circumstances. It can be helpful to seek guidance from mentors, experts, and resources in your field of interest.

3. How do I stay motivated?

Motivation can come from within, by reminding yourself of your goals and the reasons why you want to achieve them. It can also come from surrounding yourself with positive and supportive people, and regularly celebrating your progress and successes.

4. What are some common obstacles to success?

Some common obstacles to success include fear of failure, lack of self-confidence, and procrastination. It is important to identify these challenges and find ways to overcome them, such as setting smaller achievable goals and seeking support from others.

5. How can I measure my success?

Success can be measured in many ways, such as achieving specific goals, receiving recognition or rewards, and making a positive impact on others. It is important to define success for yourself and regularly assess your progress towards it.