Is False Equivalent to Not True in Quantum Mechanics?

• Thread starter sridhar_n
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi
In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether False is the same as Not true and the relationship between particles and waves in quantum mechanics. The participants discuss the notation for truth and not truth, the law of excluded middle, and the statement "im a liar". They also bring up Feynman's statement on the nature of an electron as a particle or a wave, and the concept of wave packet and its relation to an electron's properties. Ultimately, they conclude that an electron is always an electron, but it exhibits wavelike properties in certain situations.
sridhar_n
If False the same as Not true?

Undoubtendly, this is a question in Quantum Mechanics which was why I put it up here and not a Philosophical Question though it may sound like one...

Sridhar

Physics news on Phys.org
do you have any reason to believe otherwise.
we even have the notation for it.

p-truth
~p- not truth- false.

I was just thinking if not true does not completely coincide with false. False is a "perfect" statement isn't it? Which means u are totally avoiding it.

Sridhar

It is well known that p ≡ ~(~p). Though what has this got to do with quantum mechanics?

Also I should add that a statement is only a statement if it can either be false or true, it is not a statement if it is not either (law of excluded middle)

Last edited:
so the statement "im a liar" isn't a statement?

Can u give me a statement on whether an electron is a particle or a wave. You shoudn't say both...

Sridhar

Originally posted by loop quantum gravity
so the statement "im a liar" isn't a statement?

No, because it can be true or false without contradiction. However a statemnt should not reference itself i.e.: "this statemnet is false".

Originally posted by sridhar_n
Can u give me a statement on whether an electron is a particle or a wave. You shoudn't say both...

Sridhar

p: An electron is a particle

is true

q: An electron exhibit wavelike properties

is also true

Haven't u read abt Feynman's Statement about an Electron on whether it is a particle/wave "It is like neither"

Sridhar

Haven't u read abt Feynman's Statement about an Electron on whether it is a particle/wave "It is like neither"

Sridhar

It depends on how you define the concepts of particles and waves, an electron is classified as a particle.

What Feynman was really talking about were the classical concepts of 'wave' and 'particle', which we know the electron does not follow.

However the statement is Equivalent...

However the statement is Equivalent...

equivalent to whatm (also note that the wavefunction of an electron is not the same thing as the electron)? Basically: firstly you need to define the parameters of membership for the set of all particles and the set of all waves; depending on how you define these sets you might find that the electron is an element in both, one or neither. If you decide to define them as mutually exclusive yet you find that the elctron should be a member of both, there is a flaw in your defintion, not in logic.

also note that the wavefunction of an electron is not the same thing as the electron

Agreed.. but, the wave packet explanation of an electron obeys both the wave and particle properties.

What do u have to say abt this?

Sridhar

Agreed.. but, the wave packet explanation of an electron obeys both the wave and particle properties.

What do u have to say abt this?

Sridhar

You can't really call a single elctron a wave but wave-like behviour is certainlyu exhibited over many elctrons as a result of the wavefunction.

Originally posted by jcsd
p: An electron is a particle

is true

q: An electron exhibit wavelike properties

is also true

Show me the truth?..When is a Particle TRUELY like an Electron

When are the properties of an Electron Wavelike?

Originally posted by ranyart
Show me the truth?..When is a Particle TRUELY like an Electron

When are the properties of an Electron Wavelike?

An electron is always an electron, but it does show some wavelike propetires for example it's distribution in the two-slit experiment.

An electron is always an electron, but it does show some wavelike propetires for example it's distribution in the two-slit experiment.

Give me an Example of Electron being a true Electron 'Particle'.

Now give me the same Electron in the same configuration, showing me its 'Wavelike' properties.

If you decide to define them as mutually exclusive yet you find that the elctron should be a member of both, there is a flaw in your defintion, not in logic.
Well said. They seem to be ignoring this.

What is the purpose of your question?

The purpose of my question is to gather information or clarification on a specific topic.

Can you provide more context for your question?

Sure, I can provide more context or background information to help explain my question better.

How did you come up with this question?

I came up with this question through observation, research, or personal experience.

Is there a specific reason why you are asking this question?

Yes, there is a specific reason. It could be for personal interest, professional development, or to solve a problem.

Are you open to different perspectives or opinions on your question?

Yes, I am open to hearing different perspectives and opinions on my question. It can help me gain a better understanding of the topic.