Hi,I was looking at the way variance is calcullated. Let us say V

• Thread starter Santosh_J
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variance
In summary, variance is calculated by taking the average of the sum of squared deviations from the mean, which emphasizes larger differences and is necessary for the calculation to align with the properties of a normal distribution.
Santosh_J
Hi,

I was looking at the way variance is calcullated. Let us say V represents variance, then

V = average of the sum of squares of the difference between Xi and the mean (μ)

What I do not understand is why square the difference? By squaring are we not magnifying the difference by many folds?

If squaring is only to prevent canceling of negative and positive differences, then we can instead average the sum of modulus of the difference between Xi and the mean (μ), which I believe is an accurate representation, i.e.

V = (Ʃ|Xi-μ|)/N

Am I missing something here or my understanding is wrong about variance?

Thanks,
Santosh

Physics news on Phys.org

Santosh_J said:
Hi,

I was looking at the way variance is calcullated. Let us say V represents variance, then

V = average of the sum of squares of the difference between Xi and the mean (μ)

What I do not understand is why square the difference? By squaring are we not magnifying the difference by many folds?

If squaring is only to prevent canceling of negative and positive differences, then we can instead average the sum of modulus of the difference between Xi and the mean (μ), which I believe is an accurate representation, i.e.

V = (Ʃ|Xi-μ|)/N

Am I missing something here or my understanding is wrong about variance?

Thanks,
Santosh

Squaring the deviation emphasizes larger differences. Additionally, for a normal distribution, 68% of values lie with 1 standard deviation of the mean, 95% of values lie within 2 standard deviations of the mean, and 99.7% of the values lie within 3 standard deviations of the mean. For some reason, this only seems to work if we use squared deviations as part of our definition of variance.

Related to Hi,I was looking at the way variance is calcullated. Let us say V

1. What is variance and why is it important in statistics?

Variance is a measure of how spread out a set of data is. It is important in statistics because it helps us understand the variability within a dataset, which is crucial in making accurate predictions and drawing meaningful conclusions from the data.

2. How is variance calculated?

Variance is calculated by taking the average of the squared differences between each data point and the mean of the dataset. This gives us an idea of how much each data point deviates from the mean.

3. Can variance be negative?

No, variance cannot be negative. It is always a non-negative value because it is calculated by squaring the differences between data points and the mean. This ensures that the variance is always positive or zero.

4. What is the difference between variance and standard deviation?

Variance and standard deviation are both measures of how spread out a dataset is, but the difference lies in the units of measurement. Variance is measured in squared units, while standard deviation is measured in the same units as the original data.

5. How can variance be used in data analysis?

Variance can be used in data analysis to identify trends and patterns in a dataset. It can also help us compare the variability between different datasets and make informed decisions based on the level of variability. Additionally, it is used in statistical tests to determine the significance of the results.