High Order Polynomials: Questions & Answers

In summary, the conversation revolved around methods for identifying the lower and upper limits of real roots in high order polynomials, as well as ways to determine the smallest interval on the x-axis between two successive real roots without knowing the roots. The suggestion was made to look into the Gershgorin circle theorem, Poincaré separation theorem, and Sturm's theorem as potential starting points for further research.
azzaz
Hello

I am working on high order polynomials and I have two questions:1. Is there a method other than the one based on the "synthetic division with testing the signs" for identifying the lower and upper limits of the real roots?

2. Is there a way for identifying the smallest interval on the x-axis between two successive real roots, i.e. is there a theorem or test that can provide a limit on the size of the x-interval that separates successive real roots without knowing the roots?

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
azzaz said:
Hello

I am working on high order polynomials and I have two questions:1. Is there a method other than the one based on the "synthetic division with testing the signs" for identifying the lower and upper limits of the real roots?

2. Is there a way for identifying the smallest interval on the x-axis between two successive real roots, i.e. is there a theorem or test that can provide a limit on the size of the x-interval that separates successive real roots without knowing the roots?

Thank you for your help!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturm's_theorem

The above describes a method to obtain intervals to bracket individual real roots. I believe it can be adapted to answer your questions.

1. What is a high order polynomial?

A high order polynomial is a mathematical expression that contains terms with variables raised to powers greater than 1. For example, x^3 + 2x^2 - 5x + 6 is a high order polynomial with a degree of 3.

2. How do you determine the degree of a high order polynomial?

The degree of a high order polynomial is determined by the highest power of the variable in the expression. For example, the degree of x^3 + 2x^2 - 5x + 6 is 3.

3. What is the difference between a high order polynomial and a low order polynomial?

A high order polynomial has terms with variables raised to powers greater than 1, while a low order polynomial only has terms with variables raised to powers of 1 or 0. High order polynomials are generally more complex and can have more than one turning point, while low order polynomials are simpler and only have one turning point.

4. How can high order polynomials be used in real life?

High order polynomials are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model complex systems and make predictions. They can also be used to analyze data and create mathematical models for various phenomena.

5. What are the limitations of using high order polynomials?

High order polynomials can become very complex and difficult to solve as the degree increases, making them impractical for some applications. They can also be sensitive to small changes in the input data, making them less reliable for making predictions. Additionally, high order polynomials may not accurately represent real-world situations due to the assumptions and simplifications made in their creation.