Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High power factor! Is it Good/Bad? Why?

1. Jul 14, 2007 #1
    High power factor! Is it Good/Bad? Why???

Is high power factor good or bad? Why?

Not really sure

An assignment i have got due!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2007 #2

ranger

Gold Member

Do you know what is power factor?

4. Jul 14, 2007 #3
    i do but i dont at the same time. Explain and could you please help me with that question i asked before

regards

5. Jul 14, 2007 #4

ranger

Gold Member

We would be happy to help you. Just say what your understanding of power factor is.

btw, we don't do assignments for students here i.e. hand out answers. You must show us what you've done or tell us what your understanding of the problem is. These are the conditions you agreed to when signing up.

6. Jul 14, 2007 #5
    power factor is the ratio of apparent power which is multiplied to get the true power being consumed in the c.c.t

7. Jul 15, 2007 #6

ranger

Gold Member

Power factor is the ratio of apparent power and what?

What can you say about the power factor in a purely resistive AC circuit? What happens when we add reactive load(s) to the circuit? How is the effective power affected by this change?

8. Jul 15, 2007 #7
    Do a search on this site. Power factor has been discussed many times.

9. Jul 16, 2007 #8

WFO

Is a high power factor good or bad?
    If you are talking about evaluating the insulation of a device (a transformer for example) a high power factor is bad.

Just thought I'd muddy the water a little.

10. Jul 23, 2007 #9
    The power factor of an AC electric power system is defined as the ratio of the real power to the apparent power, and is a number between 0 and 1. Real power is the capacity of the circuit for performing work in a particular time. Apparent power is the product of the current and voltage of the circuit. Due to energy stored in the load and returned to the source, or due to a non-linear load that distorts the wave shape of the current drawn from the source, the apparent power can be greater than the real power. Low-power-factor loads increase losses in a power distribution system and result in increased energy costs.
    I think now you are able to understand, actually what the power factor is

11. Jul 23, 2007 #10

ranger

Gold Member

Next time to wish to copy something verbatim; use quotes and point to the original source:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Power_factor&oldid=143904499

12. Jul 23, 2007 #11
    Power factor indicates how much of the current is being used to produce useful work!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?