High school physics book reccomendation?

In summary, a book accompanied by problems that are similar to the rigor of the AP exam is recommended to a student who has never taken calculus.
khalkash
I have already written a thread about a conceptual physics books, which didn't go so well. Instead, I am just looking for one of the best book to accompany me in Physics Mechanics and Electricity and Magnetism. I am in high school and will take Calc BC alongside Physics (pre-calc this year), so my knowledge on calculus based text will be very small in the beginning.

Please recommend me a textbook that is accompanied with problems similar or a bit harder than the rigor of the AP exam. My real goal is to learn and love physics however, so any book that allows me to grasp the concepts easily and allows me to understand the mathematics behind it would be wonderful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Researching a bit, it seems like University Physics is an excellent book and is also used by OCW MITx which I can follow. How would someone who has never taken calculus(but will take it alongside it) respond to this book?

Easily. I think you are too concerned about the mathematics required. For an introductory course in physics you use very little calculus. Unless you are using kleppner and kolenkow's book which actually requires thinking.

The majority of students have never taken calculus before taking a first year university [physics] class. They usually take calculus at the same time. Especially books like University physics, physics - Halliday resnick Kane, all the intro textbooks are basically the same. It's all personal preference.

I suggest you go to a library and look through numerous books and make your decision.

I have taken a look at both and have access to both. I must say, I love how both books present themselves. The reason I am so math concentrated is because while I was great at math during elementary school, I have seldom paid attention to math in high school. Now I lack a good foundation in it and get nervous when ever I see a mathematics problem. I am rectifying this problem over the summer by going back to the basics and practicing every concept and then moving on. Thank you for your contribution Jimmyly.

I would recommend the "University Physics" textbook by Young and Freedman. It is a comprehensive and well-respected textbook that covers mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and other topics in physics. It is also commonly used in college-level physics courses, so it will provide a good foundation for your future studies.

Additionally, I would suggest looking into "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman. These lectures are known for their clear and engaging explanations of fundamental physics concepts. They may be a bit more challenging, but they will definitely help you develop a strong understanding of the subject.

Lastly, I would recommend supplementing your textbook with practice problems from previous AP exams or other sources. This will help you prepare for the rigor of the AP exam and solidify your understanding of the material.

Remember, the most important thing is to enjoy and appreciate the beauty of physics. Good luck on your journey!

1. What is the best high school physics book for beginners?

The best high school physics book for beginners is Conceptual Physics by Paul G. Hewitt. It is written in a clear and engaging style, making it easy for students to understand fundamental concepts and apply them to real-world situations.

2. What are some good high school physics books for advanced students?

For advanced students, University Physics by Young and Freedman is a widely-used and comprehensive textbook that covers a broad range of topics in depth. Another option is The Feynman Lectures on Physics, which offers a more advanced and rigorous approach to the subject.

3. Are there any high school physics books that are specifically designed for visual learners?

Yes, The Cartoon Guide to Physics by Larry Gonick and Art Huffman is a great option for visual learners. It uses humorous illustrations to explain complex concepts in a fun and engaging way.

4. Can you recommend a high school physics book that includes hands-on experiments?

Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Giancoli is a popular choice for its emphasis on hands-on learning. It includes numerous experiments and activities that allow students to apply what they have learned in a practical way.

5. What high school physics book covers both classical and modern physics?

College Physics by Serway and Vuille is a comprehensive textbook that covers both classical and modern physics topics. It also includes real-world examples and applications, making it a well-rounded choice for high school students.