High tensile strength plastic pipes

In summary, a cylinder bonded magnet will not work well in PVC because it has a tensile rating of only 7500 psi. austenitic stainless, aluminum or bronze/copper alloys are some other possible options for a non magnetizable pipe. Magnequench is a company that provides free powder for research purposes.
trini
Hey all, I'm trying to make a cylindrical bonded magnet, but I need to compress it in a non magnetizable pipe capable up withstanding up to 10000 psi pressure, 1 cm or less in diameter. PVC only has a tensile rating of 7500 psi so it won't do. i would like to know what plastic(or any non magnetizable) pipes are commercially available which may meet my criteria.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you considered austenitic stainless, aluminum or bronze/copper alloys?

Thanks Q, austenitic steel will be perfect for my application, thanks a million. I have another question though, what prevents the resin used to bond the magnet from bonding with the mould? Is there some sort of seperating layer used in compression moulding? also how can i determine what will be my optimum curing time?(i am only heating up to about 70 C)

trini said:
Thanks Q, austenitic steel will be perfect for my application, thanks a million. I have another question though, what prevents the resin used to bond the magnet from bonding with the mould? Is there some sort of seperating layer used in compression moulding? also how can i determine what will be my optimum curing time?(i am only heating up to about 70 C)
Sorry, can't help you with that one. Maybe someone else can.

You would need some sort of release agent. They are used in all sorts of molding/casting types of operations including composites. I am sure with a little bit of research you can find what release agents are used in industry.

Hey valeria, glad we could be of help. If you are interested in such an application, I suggest checking out Magnequench. They are located in Canada and provided me with 2 kg of free powder for research purposes. Also some of their products are made such that you don't need to add any additional release agents, such as the product they sent to me. Please feel free to ask any questions and we will do our best to answer.

1. What is the definition of high tensile strength?

High tensile strength refers to the ability of a material to withstand large amounts of stress or force without breaking or deforming. In the case of plastic pipes, it means that they have the ability to resist high pressure and tension without breaking or leaking.

2. What are the benefits of using high tensile strength plastic pipes?

There are several benefits of using high tensile strength plastic pipes. They are lightweight, making them easier and more cost-effective to transport and install. They are also resistant to corrosion and chemicals, making them more durable and longer-lasting than traditional metal pipes. Additionally, their smooth interior surface helps to reduce friction and improve flow efficiency.

3. How are high tensile strength plastic pipes made?

High tensile strength plastic pipes are typically made from polyethylene (PE) or polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resins, which are heated and melted together to form a molten material. This molten material is then extruded through a die to create the desired shape and size of the pipe. The pipes are then cooled and cut to the appropriate length.

4. What industries commonly use high tensile strength plastic pipes?

High tensile strength plastic pipes are commonly used in industries such as agriculture, construction, and utilities. They are also used in plumbing and irrigation systems, as well as in gas and oil transportation. These pipes are also becoming increasingly popular for use in residential and commercial plumbing, as they are more cost-effective and easier to install than traditional metal pipes.

5. How do high tensile strength plastic pipes compare to traditional metal pipes?

High tensile strength plastic pipes have several advantages over traditional metal pipes. They are lighter, easier to install, and more resistant to corrosion and chemicals. They also have a longer lifespan and require less maintenance. However, metal pipes may still be preferred for certain applications, such as high-pressure or high-temperature environments, where they may be more durable and have a higher tensile strength than plastic pipes.