Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High tensile strength plastic pipes

1. Jul 1, 2009 #1
    Hey all, I'm trying to make a cylindrical bonded magnet, but I need to compress it in a non magnetizable pipe capable up withstanding up to 10000 psi pressure, 1 cm or less in diameter. PVC only has a tensile rating of 7500 psi so it won't do. i would like to know what plastic(or any non magnetizable) pipes are commercially available which may meet my criteria.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2009 #2

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you considered austenitic stainless, aluminum or bronze/copper alloys?

4. Jul 2, 2009 #3
    Thanks Q, austenitic steel will be perfect for my application, thanks a million. I have another question though, what prevents the resin used to bond the magnet from bonding with the mould? Is there some sort of seperating layer used in compression moulding? also how can i determine what will be my optimum curing time?(i am only heating up to about 70 C)

5. Jul 2, 2009 #4

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, can't help you with that one. Maybe someone else can.

6. Jul 2, 2009 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

You would need some sort of release agent. They are used in all sorts of molding/casting types of operations including composites. I am sure with a little bit of research you can find what release agents are used in industry.

7. Jan 8, 2012 #6
    Hey valeria, glad we could be of help. If you are interested in such an application, I suggest checking out Magnequench. They are located in Canada and provided me with 2 kg of free powder for research purposes. Also some of their products are made such that you don't need to add any additional release agents, such as the product they sent to me. Please feel free to ask any questions and we will do our best to answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook