Highschool mathematics curriculum

In summary, the speaker is a mid-20s guy from Montreal, Quebec, Canada who is completing his high school math courses at an adult high school in preparation for entering a bachelor program in mathematics at either McGill or Université de Montréal. They are concerned about the quality of the high school math curriculum in Quebec after hearing stories from people who attended top-notch high schools. They are wondering if there is a way to verify the quality of the curriculum and are willing to take matters into their own hands. They mention that high school in Quebec is one year shorter than in the US and that they will be able to skip a transition school called CEGEP by taking three math courses at the university they choose. They are not worried about being
reenmachine
Gold Member
Hi all!

I'm a mid-20s guy from Montreal , Quebec , Canada completing his high school mathematic courses at an high school for adults with the eventual goal of entering a bachelor program in mathematics (probably either at McGill or Universite de Montreal (UdeM)).

Basically I'm worried about the quality of the highchool math curriculum from Quebec after hearing some stories from people who went to top notch high schools.

Is there any way to verify how good the curriculum is here? Because if it's not that good I'm not scared to take matters into my own hands.

Here's the high school curriculum (two last years) in french unfortunately:http://www.formationeda.com/mathematique/mathematique.php

(I understand it's unlikely people can judge a course based on it's title , but I'm putting it out there just in case)

I'm doing them all except two.Also take note that high school and college are separated by what we call "CEGEP" here which is a transition school before university , and since I'm old enough I will be able to skip it by only doing the three math courses (which IIRC are calculus courses) at the university of my choice instead of wasting 2 years doing general courses like normal students.These three courses opens the door to the bachelor math program at UdeM at least (didnt verify for McGill).So high school here is one year shorter than in the US.

Last point , I'm not really asking by fear of not being accepted into the programs but more by fear of not having received as much knowledge as students from elsewhere coming to these universities.

thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Secondary mathematics education in all of North America is a questionable topic... Some would argue that it is in need of a great intellectual revolution. It's something I am very concerned with... but most people will be in the same boat. When I jumped into proof based mathematics after high school it was a completely unexplored land, at times very frustrating. But if you put in the work and get the extra help when you need it you will be okay. You can always pick up some extra literature to get ahead start.

reenmachine said:
Basically I'm worried about the quality of the highchool math curriculum from Quebec after hearing some stories from people who went to top notch high schools.
If you are alluding to what I think you are alluding to, then don't worry about it. You're already ahead of the game anyways, regardless of your HS. Good luck :)

What is the purpose of the high school mathematics curriculum?

The purpose of the high school mathematics curriculum is to provide students with a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and skills that they can apply in their future academic and professional pursuits. It also aims to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as improve logical reasoning and quantitative literacy.

What topics are typically covered in the high school mathematics curriculum?

The high school mathematics curriculum includes a wide range of topics such as algebra, geometry, trigonometry, pre-calculus, and calculus. Other common topics include statistics, probability, and data analysis.

How does the high school mathematics curriculum prepare students for college?

The high school mathematics curriculum provides students with a solid foundation in mathematical concepts and skills that are essential for success in college-level courses. It also helps students develop critical thinking skills, which are crucial for understanding and solving more complex mathematical problems.

Are there any resources available to help students struggling with the high school mathematics curriculum?

Yes, there are various resources available to help students struggling with the high school mathematics curriculum. These include online tutorials, practice problems, study guides, and tutoring services. Students can also seek help from their teachers or peers if they are having difficulty understanding a particular concept.

How does the high school mathematics curriculum prepare students for future careers?

The high school mathematics curriculum prepares students for future careers by developing their analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills, which are highly valued in many industries. It also provides students with a solid foundation in mathematical concepts and skills that are necessary for pursuing careers in fields such as science, technology, engineering, and finance.