Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HiI want to create a small ventilator

1. Nov 24, 2008 #1
    Hi

I want to create a small ventilator, which should be used in a glass water.
    It doesn't have to be an electrical one, it can be also based on any other way (gasses, liquids, magnets, mechanics etc.). I want that the system of it will be outside the glass and in the glass I want to have only a kind of weather vane.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance :wink:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2008 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Re: ventilator

I'm not sure exactly what you are describing. Are you talking about something like a fish-tank aerator (the little thing that bubbles air into the fish tank).

4. Nov 24, 2008 #3

Actually it's very similar, I don't know how a fish-tank aerator makes bubbles
    but what I mean is something like this:
    [​IMG]

that should be inside a glass of water.

5. Nov 24, 2008 #4

Danger

Gold Member

It's still a bit confusing. Now it looks as if you want a heat exchanger to keep the water cool. :confused:

6. Nov 24, 2008 #5

I've maybe added a wrong image to my previous comment, I need just a simple ventilator without all the metals, which are wrapping it in that photo.

I want to put it on the inner bottom of the glass in order to create a vortex in the water..

7. Nov 24, 2008 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Okay, I think that I've got the picture now.
    Your easiest approach might be magnetic coupling.
    As a basis, I'll give you a very simple example that won't actually work properly but will give an idea of the principle.
    Take the whole fan apparatus as shown, and bond powerful cylindrical magnets of alternating polarity at 90° separation around the outside perimeter of the hub. Then obtain the hub/blade part of a second fan and add magnets to it in the same manner. Drop that second set of blades upside-down into the bottom of the glass, and attach the glass to the top of the first motor/fan set. The magnets on the fan underneath will drag their opposite counterparts on the inside fan around with them as they revolve.

8. Nov 24, 2008 #7

First of all, thank you very much for your lovely help!!
    Is there a chance you can draw me a sketch of the idea you were talking about?
    Because I'm a little bit confused from all your explanations.. :uhh:

9. Nov 24, 2008 #8

Danger

Gold Member

I'll give it a try. I haven't figured out how to use Inkscape yet, but maybe I can fire up my old G3 and do it in Illustrator.

10. Nov 24, 2008 #9

Dale

Staff: Mentor

What Danger is describing is called a magnetic stirrer. In the linked picture you can see the white magnet bar which is the actual stirring mechanism, and you can see the vortex in the water. The magnetic stirrer bar is moved by rotating magnets inside the base plate.

11. Nov 24, 2008 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Thanks, Dale. That's considerably simpler than what I was envisioning, and apparently quite effective.

12. Nov 24, 2008 #11

Thank you very much
    I'll really appreciate this !!!!!

13. Nov 24, 2008 #12

Danger

Gold Member

You're more than welcome. Our only request is that you add your insights to others who show up here looking for answers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?