History Channel Arrrggghhh!

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Re: History Channel....Arrrggghhh!

Arrgghh!!! Nostradamus 2012 and this silly Mayan 2012 doom/destruction of the planet. People are willing to believe this and they discount the fact that the Mayans didn't predict the demise of thier own culture?

Not to mention that there is no doomsday prediction for 2012 by the Mayans. It's a cycle that's repeated every 20 years that they are referring to, this 20 years is no different from the past 20 year cycles that the world hasn't been destroyed.

How can people be so stupid? Why do people want so desperately to believe in nonsense?
You can kind of understand the nonsense that provides people with some sort of hope, like people who say they can communicate with the dead, but I can't grasp why anyone would want to be interested in believing the world was going to end.

Exactly, the only thing happening on Dec. 21 2012 is that the Mayan "Long Count" calendar reaches the end of it's ~5000 year cycle and restarts from the beginning. How people determine that this must coincide with the end of the world, I have no idea.

Also, in regards to Nostradamus, I won't say he's a prophet, but he is arguably one of the most successful scam artist in all of world history. His predictions are comically vague, yet people still by translations of his book!

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

reaches the end of it's ~5000 year cycle and restarts from the beginning. How people determine that this must coincide with the end of the world, I have no idea.
Exactly - the world isn't going to end until 2038 when Unix time_t wraps around.

Also, in regards to Nostradamus, ....yet people still buy translations of his book!
Although he has had trouble collecting the royalties for the last couple of centuries.

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Exactly - the world isn't going to end until 2038 when Unix time_t wraps around.
The end is nigh!!!

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

One bit of irony that is somewhat related to the discussion: We used to laugh at the notion that comets are harbingers of doom. Turns out that there may be some truth in that belief.

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

We used to laugh at the notion that comets are harbingers of doom. Turns out that there may be some truth in that belief.
Not really harbingers though - they are doom!

Now a black cat walking backward under a ladder that meant a doomsday comet was on it's way - that would be a sign. Although I think my cat just does it to wind me up!

Now a black cat walking backward under a ladder that meant a doomsday comet was on it's way - that would be a sign. Although I think my cat just does it to wind me up!
And if you see the same cat doing it again, then it must be dejavu and the code was altered!!

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Not really harbingers though...
Unless we see it coming first...

I have often wondered if the myth is based on real events from long ago.

Evo
Mentor

The other night one scientist commented on movies that showed people looking up at the sky as a huge fireball of a meteor was about to crash near them, he said that in reality the heat produced would have already incinerated anyone watching from that close. We're talking BIG meteors, like one that would wipe out New York.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

The other night one scientist commented on movies that showed people looking up at the sky as a huge fireball of a meteor was about to crash near them, he said that in reality the heat produced would have already incinerated anyone watching from that close. We're talking BIG meteors, like one that would wipe out New York.
You wouldn't see the thing coming in as it hit the earth, but it might be seen for days or even weeks before it hit. Comets are often seen while approaching, and again after swinging around the sun.

LowlyPion
Homework Helper

You mean like this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zvCUmeoHpw

Evo
Mentor

You wouldn't see the thing coming in as it hit the earth, but it might be seen for days or even weeks before it hit. Comets are often seen while approaching, and again after swinging around the sun.
He was talking about the people pointing up at a fireball covering half the sky and about to impact. He said no one's going to be pointing up at it at that point. :tongue2:

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Comets travel really really fast as well so even if one could admire the inferno you wouldn't have long to do it.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

He was talking about the people pointing up at a fireball covering half the sky and about to impact. He said no one's going to be pointing up at it at that point. :tongue2:
But, but, but, that's how it happens in armageddon movies! And you can hear the roar. And you can outrun the shockwave on a motorcycle. Everyone knows that. Geez.

Evo
Mentor

You mean like this one?

Oh sure, make it look fun.

But, but, but, that's how it happens in armageddon movies! And you can hear the roar. And you can outrun the shockwave on a motorcycle. Everyone knows that. Geez.
Or if you are in an underground tunnel, you will be ok.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Or if you are under your desk with your hands over your head.

...oh wait, that was for nuclear attacks.

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

You mean like this one?

Look what it did to big ben. :eek:

I like the thought of an English gent in a suit and bowler hat sitting at a table with a cup of tea and commenting with dry wit at the scene of destruction behind him having somehow miraculously survived.

At the end the Earth looked like an evil eyeball.

Evo
Mentor

Or if you are under your desk with your hands over your head.

...oh wait, that was for nuclear attacks.
Oh, you're going to love this. I was watching a show on Hawaii's volcanos, and guess what they have children do in school in case of an eruption that will cover them in lava before they can evacuate? They go into the hallway and kneel down on the floor head to the wall. Just like we did for atomic bombs at my school. :bugeye:

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

They could at least put them in amusing poses to entertain the archaeologists.

Evo
Mentor

Look what it did to big ben. :eek:

I like the thought of an English gent in a suit and bowler hat sitting at a table with a cup of tea and commenting with dry wit at the scene of destruction behind him having somehow miraculously survived.

At the end the Earth looked like an evil eyeball.
Why is it in all the disaster movies, Big Ben is damaged, but still standing? I guess if it was flattened beyond recognition, it would have no impact, so it will always stand. :tongue2:

LowlyPion
Homework Helper

Oh sure, make it look fun.

I'm not so sure in that case a tunnel would be safe enough.

I don't think even Dick Cheney would be buried deep enough to escape consequences. It's an ill asteroid indeed that brings no good.

Me, I'd break out the best wine and a beach chair.

After all I'm just a LowlyPion.

LowlyPion
Homework Helper

Why is it in all the disaster movies, Big Ben is damaged, but still standing? I guess if it was flattened beyond recognition, it would have no impact, so it will always stand. :tongue2:
It is built well.

They don't make them like they used to.

Evo
Mentor

The Discovery Channel has "Demonic exorcist night".

The first show is "Exorcist Files", followed by "Exorcists: The true story".

What's worse? I'm watching it. :blushing:

Evo
Mentor

History channel tonight is Ancient Aliens night.

New show tonight!

Aliens, Plagues and Epidemics - A possible connection between aliens and plagues and epidemics is explored.

Why not?

Pengwuino
Gold Member

I need to tell my students not to watch tv that sounds educational anymore.

History channel tonight is Ancient Aliens night.

New show tonight!

Aliens, Plagues and Epidemics - A possible connection between aliens and plagues and epidemics is explored.

Why not?
[PLAIN]http://www.memedr.com/images/107-ancient-aliens-dollar-goes-in-soda-comes-out-aliens.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: