How did error analysis evolve over time?

In summary: That would be a good study as well: how far error analysis has advanced in just forty years. Unfortunately, I have yet to acquire the sophistication to fully appreciate the error-analysis in most professional papers. Thus I must focus on the earlier development first, as it is something I have more proficiency with. All in all, there is much fruit on these here trees.
Measurer
Hello, all,

I am wondering if anyone can provide me information on the historical origin of error analysis; that is, with the quantification and mathematical manipulation of uncertainties in measurement. I find that all the textbooks I have stumbled upon provide a narrative of physical theories, but leave the actual experimental processes opaque. I will be grateful for any lead or inkling provided.

Thank you for your time.

Likes Stephen Tashi
Physics news on Phys.org
Measurer said:
Hello, all,

I am wondering if anyone can provide me information on the historical origin of error analysis; that is, with the quantification and mathematical manipulation of uncertainties in measurement. I find that all the textbooks I have stumbled upon provide a narrative of physical theories, but leave the actual experimental processes opaque. I will be grateful for any lead or inkling provided.

Thank you for your time.
There are bits of this in introductory books on error analysis. Bevington, "Data Reduction and Error Analysis for the Physical Sciences" is a good intro book.

Quantum Defect said:
There are bits of this in introductory books on error analysis. Bevington, "Data Reduction and Error Analysis for the Physical Sciences" is a good intro book.

Thank you for the reference. I just found the call number in the library and will take the book out tomorrow.

Measurer said:
Thank you for the reference. I just found the call number in the library and will take the book out tomorrow.

I checked the book out. I find it to be just a rehashing of error analysis. I am looking more for its historical development--the story of how it evolved in the sciences from just armchair observation with little to no actual measuring (like Aristotle) to the mathematical and computational world of error analysis today. Thank you, though.

Measurer said:
I checked the book out. I find it to be just a rehashing of error analysis. I am looking more for its historical development--the story of how it evolved in the sciences from just armchair observation with little to no actual measuring (like Aristotle) to the mathematical and computational world of error analysis today. Thank you, though.

I found an essay ["Error Theory"] in an Encyclopedia ["Reader's Guide to the Histroy of Science" ] that has some interesting history. The essay is brief, but I learned some things I didn't know -- the article is a "hit-parade" of some pretty famous names -- Bessel, Gauss, Lagrange, Laplace, etc. etc...

https://books.google.com/books?id=f...e&q=history of science error analysis&f=false

The essay appears to have a bibliography that would be useful to you at the very beginning, but it looks like Google doesn't want to show it to me. :(

The essay claims that the start of it all was during the Enlightenment.

Thanks for pressing this question. I learned something new today!

For the last decades, you can also check publications of experimental results. At least in particle physics, the difference between a paper from 1970 and a modern paper is huge.

Quantum Defect said:
I found an essay ["Error Theory"] in an Encyclopedia ["Reader's Guide to the Histroy of Science" ] that has some interesting history. The essay is brief, but I learned some things I didn't know -- the article is a "hit-parade" of some pretty famous names -- Bessel, Gauss, Lagrange, Laplace, etc. etc...

https://books.google.com/books?id=fjhdAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA227&lpg=PA227&dq=history of science error analysis&source=bl&ots=oCJknysfTu&sig=XiwkkUw7EthTdT0YoOQNWEvLzS0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=9uyzVOKjFpG0sATz9YD4DA&ved=0CFcQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=history of science error analysis&f=false

Thank you for this! I'm going to find out more about the ideas mentioned in the piece and follow those rabbits down their respective holes. I will keep you posted about new developments as I find them. It will be a small project of mine.

mfb said:
For the last decades, you can also check publications of experimental results. At least in particle physics, the difference between a paper from 1970 and a modern paper is huge.

That would be a good study as well: how far error analysis has advanced in just forty years. Unfortunately, I have yet to acquire the sophistication to fully appreciate the error-analysis in most professional papers. Thus I must focus on the earlier development first, as it is something I have more proficiency with. All in all, there is much fruit on these here trees.

What is the history of error analysis?

The history of error analysis can be traced back to the 19th century, when scientists and mathematicians began to study and quantify errors in measurements and calculations. The field of error analysis was further developed during the 20th century, with advancements in statistics and technology allowing for more precise and detailed analysis of errors. Today, error analysis is an important tool in various scientific disciplines, such as physics, engineering, and statistics.

Why is error analysis important?

Error analysis is important because it allows scientists to understand and account for errors in their data and measurements. By identifying and quantifying errors, researchers can improve the accuracy and reliability of their findings. Error analysis also helps to identify potential sources of errors and ways to minimize them in future experiments or studies.

What are the types of errors in error analysis?

The two main types of errors in error analysis are systematic errors and random errors. Systematic errors are constant and consistent, and are caused by a flaw in the experimental setup or equipment. Random errors, on the other hand, are unpredictable and can occur due to factors such as human error or environmental conditions.

How is error analysis performed?

Error analysis involves a series of steps, including identifying and quantifying errors, determining their sources, and evaluating their impact on the data. This is typically done through statistical methods, such as calculating standard deviation or using regression analysis. Researchers may also use control experiments or multiple measurements to help identify and reduce errors.

What are the limitations of error analysis?

While error analysis is a valuable tool, it is not without limitations. Error analysis can only account for errors that are known and measurable, and there may be unknown sources of errors that cannot be accounted for. Additionally, error analysis does not guarantee 100% accuracy, but rather helps to minimize and quantify errors to improve the reliability of scientific findings.