Hit a wall with Analysis, also with a problem in Linear Algebra

In summary: For instance, if a<=\sqrt{ab}, then \sqrt{ab} < (a+b)/2. If a>\sqrt{ab}, then \sqrt{ab} > (a+b)/2. In summary, if a<=\sqrt{ab}, then \sqrt{ab} < (a+b)/2. If a>\sqrt{ab}, then \sqrt{ab} > (a+b)/2.
the_morbidus

Homework Statement

prove that if 0<a<b, then

a < [itex]\sqrt{ab}[/itex] < (a+b)/2 < b

Notice that the inequality [itex]\sqrt{ab}[/itex] [itex]\leq[/itex] (a+b)/2 holds for all a,b [itex]\geq[/itex] 0.
-------------------------------
the linear algebra problem is

Let V be the set of pairs (x,Y) of real numbers and define a modified addition operation

(x,y) + (u,v) = (x+u, 0)

as well as a modified scalar multiplication by c [itex]\in[/itex] R via

c(x,y) = (cx, 0)

Using these two modified operations, is V a vector space? Justify your answer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to solve it by making a = k and b = k+1 so i would know that b's value is definitely greater than a.

[itex]\sqrt{ab}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{k(k+1)}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{k^2 +k}[/itex] = k + [itex]\sqrt{k}[/itex]

now if i use numbers to demonstrate that this is consistent with what I'm suppose to prove, i'll have k = 1 and then a=1 but if i plug it above then k [itex]\sqrt{k}[/itex] = 2
now for the 3rd part (a+b)/2 then (k+k+1)/2 = (2k+1)/2 = k+ 1/2 and if k=1 then this is smaller than the 2nd step and contradicts what I'm trying to prove.

what should I do?

-------------------------

ok so for the linear algebra problem I was going to introduce another vector U which u and v are part of, and v has a value that is opposite of y to cancel it out, but then that would not explain the (cx,0) part, well y can't be 0 because then y+v = v, unless y=v=0 could work for both, what do you guys think??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the_morbidus said:
[itex]\sqrt{ab}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{k(k+1)}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{k^2 +k}[/itex] = k + [itex]\sqrt{k}[/itex]

this is not true, the last step is invalid (try squaring it and see what you get)

also, please post different problem as different threads otherwise the solutions will get too confusing

the_morbidus said:
prove that if 0<a<b, then

a < [itex]\sqrt{ab}[/itex] < (a+b)/2 < b

Notice that the inequality [itex]\sqrt{ab}[/itex] [itex]\leq[/itex] (a+b)/2 holds for all a,b [itex]\geq[/itex] 0.

Proving that the ends of the first inequality are true isn't too hard... The tougher part is the middle: [itex]\sqrt{ab} \leq (a+b)/2 [/itex]. Try squaring both sides (Why is this OK? Keep the conditions in mind.) and manipulate the inequality in a form that has to be true...

1. What is the purpose of analysis in science?

Analysis in science is the process of examining data or information in order to identify patterns, relationships, or trends. It helps scientists understand complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.

2. Can you provide an example of hitting a wall with analysis in scientific research?

One common example is when a scientist encounters unexpected or contradictory results during their analysis. This can be frustrating and may require them to re-evaluate their methods or gather more data to better understand the phenomenon.

3. How can linear algebra be applied in scientific research?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representation through vectors and matrices. It is commonly used in scientific research for data analysis, modeling, and simulations, especially in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

4. What are some common challenges in understanding linear algebra?

Some common challenges include grasping the abstract concepts and notation, understanding the applications and limitations of different linear algebra techniques, and being able to apply them to real-world problems.

5. Are there any resources available to help overcome difficulties with analysis and linear algebra?

Yes, there are many resources available, such as textbooks, online courses, and tutorial videos, that can help individuals improve their understanding and skills in analysis and linear algebra. Seeking guidance from a mentor or consulting with a colleague who is proficient in these areas can also be beneficial.