Hollow sphere, angular momentum, torque problem? help?

In summary, a hollow sphere with a radius of 0.15m and a rotational inertia of 0.040 kg m^2 rolls without slipping up an inclined surface at an initial position where its total kinetic energy is 20J. To find the rotational kinetic energy, we use the equations KErot = 1/2 Iω^2 and KEtotal = KEtranslational + KErotational. By substituting values, we get 20 = 1/2mv^2 + 1/3 mr^2ω. To match dimensions, we can add ω to the first equation, giving us 1/2mv^2 + 1/2 x 2/3 mr^2ω =
nchin
Hollow sphere, angular momentum, torque problem? help??

a hollow sphere or radius 0.15m with rotational inertia = 0.040 kg m^2 about a line through its center of mass, rolls without slipping up a surface inclined 30 degree to the horizontal. at a certain initial position,the sphere's total kinetic energy is 20J.

a) How much of this initial KE is rotational?

what i did

Hollow sphere = 2/3MR^(2)
KErot = 1/2 Iω^2

KEtotal = KEtranslational + KErotational

a) 20 = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2 x 2/3 mr^2
20 = 1/2mv^2 + 1/3 mr^2

this part confuses me
1/2mv^2 + 1/3 mr^2 = 5/6mv^2
20 = 5/6mv^2

How was 1/2mv^2 + 1/3 MR^2 = 5/6mv^2?? mv and MR are different yet how were they both added together??

Physics news on Phys.org

When dimensions don't match up, backtrack to the first instance. It's here:
nchin said:
a) 20 = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2 x 2/3 mr^2
ω is missing.

haruspex said:
When dimensions don't match up, backtrack to the first instance. It's here:

ω is missing.

1/2mv^2 + 1/2 x 2/3 mr^2ω = 5/6mv^2

ok so if i put a ω there, how would it still = 5/6mv^2? in other words how can you change mr^2ω into mv^2? help!

oh nvm i got it. w = V^2/R^2. r cancel out. thanks!

The reason for this is because in this problem, we are dealing with a rolling motion of the hollow sphere. This means that both linear and rotational motion are present and they are related to each other. In order to find the total kinetic energy, we need to take into account both types of motion.

The translational kinetic energy is given by 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the sphere and v is its linear velocity. The rotational kinetic energy is given by 1/2Iω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity.

Now, for a rolling motion, the linear velocity and angular velocity are related by v = ωR, where R is the radius of the sphere. Therefore, we can substitute this into the equations for translational and rotational kinetic energy to get:

KEtranslational = 1/2mv^2 = 1/2m(ωR)^2 = 1/2mω^2R^2
KErotational = 1/2Iω^2 = 1/2(2/3mr^2)ω^2 = 1/3mr^2ω^2

Adding these two equations together, we get:

KEtotal = KEtranslational + KErotational = 1/2mω^2R^2 + 1/3mr^2ω^2

Now, we can factor out ω^2 from both terms and we get:

KEtotal = (1/2m + 1/3mr^2)ω^2

Since we know that the total kinetic energy is 20J, we can set this equal to the above equation and solve for ω^2:

20 = (1/2m + 1/3mr^2)ω^2
ω^2 = (20/(1/2m + 1/3mr^2))

Now, we can substitute this value for ω^2 back into the equations for translational and rotational kinetic energy to get:

KEtranslational = 1/2m(ωR)^2 = 1/2m(20/(1/2m + 1/3mr^2))R^2 = 10R^2/(1/2m + 1/3mr^2)
KErotational = 1/2Iω^

What is a hollow sphere?

A hollow sphere is a three-dimensional, spherical object with an empty interior. It is often used in physics to represent objects with uniform mass distribution.

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance between the point of application and the axis of rotation.

What is the relationship between angular momentum and torque?

The relationship between angular momentum and torque is described by the principle of conservation of angular momentum. This states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

How do I solve a torque problem involving a hollow sphere?

To solve a torque problem involving a hollow sphere, you will need to use the formula for torque (T = F x r) and consider the distance of the force from the axis of rotation. You will also need to use the formula for moment of inertia (I = 2/3 x m x r^2) to calculate the object's resistance to rotational motion. By setting the torque equal to the moment of inertia multiplied by the angular acceleration, you can solve for the unknown variable. It is important to carefully consider the direction and sign of the forces and torques involved in the problem.