1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hologram questions

1. Aug 1, 2006 #1
    after many experiments with digital holography i finally got the best interference image i could...

but after analyzing it, i got my object in two locations!
    it was supposed to be on the lower right side of the image, but i got it on the upper right side too....

any idea why it happened?

if you need more info, i can explain the setup i used to get the image:
    (without getting into detail about how i control the intensity of each beam and make sure there are no distubances):
    first i split the laser beam, and light my object with one beam (the object beam), the second beam is reflected by glass from (almost) behind the object, and a digital camera without it's lenses pictures the interference of the two rays.

after i got my image, i use matlab to construct the image back - i simulate a beam with the same wavelength of the original beam that light through the image - it's pretty easy actually, i only need to use inverse fourier transform on my image multiplied by something which holds the info about the distance of the camera and the focal length i want to use for my simulated eye.

the script is very strait forward, so if anyone want it, i can post it here.

anyway, i just can't figure out why i got the second object...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Just a wild guess, but maybe you need to use a single-sided transform. Is the reflection backwards? Could it be a reflection about the zero spatial frequency axis in the transform?

4. Aug 1, 2006 #3
    i don't think it's backwards... here, i'll post it:

the default ifft function in matlab is nonsymetric, so i don't think that's the reason...

any other ideas?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  5. Aug 1, 2006 #4
    just to make sure it's not the fault of my script, i'll post it here, so you can take a look:

Code (Text):

I=imread('img.tif');
    I=I(750:1773, 1:1024);

C=complex(I);
    C=double(C);
    lam = 632.817e-9;
    %lam is the wavelength
    d=1.128;

%d is the distance of the camera from my object
    dx=6.8e-6;
    %dx is the pixel seperation of my camera

j=1:1024;
    K= -i*pi/lam/d*(j.^2*dx.^2)';
    L= -i*pi/lam/d*(j.^2*dx.^2);
    KL=exp(K)*exp(L);
    C=KL.*C;

D=ifft2(C);
    %inverse FFT
    F=abs(D);

F1=F(1:512,1:512);
    F2=F(1:512,513:1024);
    F3=F(513:1024,1:512);
    F4=F(513:1024,513:1024);
    F=[F4,F3;F2,F1];
    clear F4 F3 F2 F1 D KL K L j

F=F.^0.5;
    %making the faded image of my hologram brighter.

imshow(F)

6. Aug 2, 2006 #5
    I found the cause!

when i picture the interference i get [tex]I=O^2+R^2+2ORcos(\Delta \phi)[/tex]
    where R is the reference beam's amplitude, and O is the object beam's.
    so i don't really get the phase difference of the two - i get the cosine of it, and the cosine have the same value for positive phase differences as for negative ones.

7. Aug 2, 2006 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Good to hear that you sorted it out, fargoth. My thought was that you might not be using front-surface mirrors, and thus getting muliple reflections.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?