Solving the Mystery of Hologram Interference Image

• Thread starter fargoth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hologram
In summary, the user found that they could get two objects in their digital hologram if they placed them in different locations. They used MATLAB to simulate a beam with the same wavelength as the original and found that the object beam would reflect off of a reflection in the glass behind the object. The user was able to figure out why this happened and it wasn't because of their script or the interference of the two beams.
fargoth
after many experiments with digital holography i finally got the best interference image i could...

but after analyzing it, i got my object in two locations!
it was supposed to be on the lower right side of the image, but i got it on the upper right side too...

any idea why it happened?

if you need more info, i can explain the setup i used to get the image:
(without getting into detail about how i control the intensity of each beam and make sure there are no distubances):
first i split the laser beam, and light my object with one beam (the object beam), the second beam is reflected by glass from (almost) behind the object, and a digital camera without it's lenses pictures the interference of the two rays.

after i got my image, i use MATLAB to construct the image back - i simulate a beam with the same wavelength of the original beam that light through the image - it's pretty easy actually, i only need to use inverse Fourier transform on my image multiplied by something which holds the info about the distance of the camera and the focal length i want to use for my simulated eye.

the script is very strait forward, so if anyone want it, i can post it here.

anyway, i just can't figure out why i got the second object...

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a wild guess, but maybe you need to use a single-sided transform. Is the reflection backwards? Could it be a reflection about the zero spatial frequency axis in the transform?

i don't think it's backwards... here, i'll post it:

the default ifft function in MATLAB is nonsymetric, so i don't think that's the reason...

any other ideas?

Attachments

• hologram1.jpg
    hologram1.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 381
  • hologram2.jpg
    hologram2.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:
just to make sure it's not the fault of my script, i'll post it here, so you can take a look:

Code:
I=imread('img.tif');
I=I(750:1773, 1:1024);

C=complex(I);
C=double(C);
lam = 632.817e-9;
%lam is the wavelength
d=1.128;

%d is the distance of the camera from my object
dx=6.8e-6;
%dx is the pixel separation of my camera

j=1:1024;
K= -i*pi/lam/d*(j.^2*dx.^2)';
L= -i*pi/lam/d*(j.^2*dx.^2);
KL=exp(K)*exp(L);
C=KL.*C;D=ifft2(C);
%inverse FFT
F=abs(D);F1=F(1:512,1:512);
F2=F(1:512,513:1024);
F3=F(513:1024,1:512);
F4=F(513:1024,513:1024);
F=[F4,F3;F2,F1];
clear F4 F3 F2 F1 D KL K L j 

F=F.^0.5;
%making the faded image of my hologram brighter.

imshow(F)

I found the cause!

when i picture the interference i get [tex]I=O^2+R^2+2ORcos(\Delta \phi)[/tex]
where R is the reference beam's amplitude, and O is the object beam's.
so i don't really get the phase difference of the two - i get the cosine of it, and the cosine have the same value for positive phase differences as for negative ones.

Good to hear that you sorted it out, fargoth. My thought was that you might not be using front-surface mirrors, and thus getting muliple reflections.

FAQ: Solving the Mystery of Hologram Interference Image

1. How do hologram interference images work?

Hologram interference images work by using laser light to create interference patterns on a photosensitive material. These patterns are then recorded as a three-dimensional image that can be viewed without the need for special glasses or equipment.

2. What is the purpose of studying hologram interference images?

Studying hologram interference images can help us understand the principles of light and optics, as well as provide insights into the properties of materials and their interactions with light. It also has practical applications in security, data storage, and medical imaging.

3. What are some challenges in solving the mystery of hologram interference images?

Some challenges in solving the mystery of hologram interference images include understanding the complex mathematical principles behind the interference patterns, finding suitable materials for recording the images, and developing advanced technology for creating and viewing holograms.

4. How has technology advanced in the field of hologram interference images?

Technology has advanced significantly in the field of hologram interference images, allowing for more precise and detailed images to be recorded and viewed. This includes the development of powerful lasers, advanced materials, and sophisticated software for creating and analyzing holograms.

5. What potential applications can hologram interference images have in the future?

Hologram interference images have the potential to revolutionize many industries, including entertainment, advertising, and medicine. They could also be used for data storage and security purposes, as well as in virtual and augmented reality technologies.