Prove f=0: Holomorphic Polynomial

• Thread starter cheeez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a holomorphic polynomial, f, and its integral over the boundary of a disc of radius 1 centered at 0. The main question is whether f must be equal to 0 if its integral is 0 for all values of j. One person suggests using a polynomial of degree greater than j to show that f is not trivial, but another person suggests using Green's Theorem and the fact that an analytic function multiplied by its conjugate must be zero to prove that f is indeed equal to 0.
cheeez
f is a holomorphic polynomial and if

[tex]$\oint_{\partial D(0,1)}f(z)\bar{z}^{j}dz=$ 0 for j = 0,1,2,3...[/tex]

where [tex]$\partial D(0,1)$[/tex] is the boundary of a disc of radius 1 centered at 0

prove f [tex]$\equiv$[/tex]0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
any ideas? if we use any polynomial of order > j like j+1 so f(z) = z^(j+1)

then f(z)(z_bar)^j becomes z(z z_bar)^j = z |z|^2j which is just z since modulus is 1 on boundary of disk of radius 1. so obviously integral of z is 0 since its holomorphic but f(z) is not trivial. am i misunderstanding this.

Last edited:
no one?

Does it happen that the degree of f is j or greater than j?

What I would do is appeal to the fact that if the integral around a boundary of a simple jordan curve is 0 then the function must be analytic (holomorphic), and then since you have an analytic function times a conjugate function that is still analytic it must be zero

Maybe better phrased as follows:
since the integral around the circle is zero the function being integrated is analytic
so
the analytic function depends on the conjugate function (a non analytic function), so if you take the "d-bar" differential (the dereivative with respec to the congugate of z) you should get zero, which will imply that f must be zero

This might not be as clear as you want, but I'm not sure what you're allowed to assume.

have you tried green's theorem?

1. What does it mean for a function to be holomorphic?

Holomorphic functions are complex-valued functions that are differentiable at every point in their domain. This means that they have a well-defined derivative at every point and are smooth, or continuously differentiable, everywhere.

2. How can I prove that a function is holomorphic?

To prove that a function is holomorphic, you need to show that it satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which are a set of necessary conditions for a function to be holomorphic. These equations involve the partial derivatives of the function with respect to both the real and imaginary parts of the input variable.

3. What is a polynomial function?

A polynomial function is a function that can be written as a sum of terms, each of which is a constant multiplied by a variable raised to a non-negative integer power. For example, f(x) = 3x^2 + 5x + 2 is a polynomial function.

4. How can I prove that a polynomial function is holomorphic?

All polynomial functions are holomorphic, so you do not need to prove it. This is because polynomial functions are infinitely differentiable, and the derivatives of polynomial functions are also polynomial functions. Therefore, they satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations and are holomorphic.

5. How can I prove that a holomorphic function is identically equal to zero?

To prove that a holomorphic function is identically equal to zero, you can use the Identity Theorem, which states that if a holomorphic function is equal to zero on an open set, then it is equal to zero on its entire domain. Therefore, if you can show that a holomorphic function is equal to zero on an open set, it must be identically equal to zero.