Holomorphic functions at stationary points

In summary, the conversation discusses the conformal mapping property of holomorphic functions and the power series expansion of a complex function. It is explained that a function is conformal if it locally looks like a rotation, dilation, and translation. The conversation also touches on the effect of higher order terms and the relationship between the function and angles at the origin. Further clarification is given on the direction of the mapping.
ayae
Recently I have been self teaching myself complex analysis.

I am interested in the conformal mapping property of holomorphic functions and why and how it breaks down at stationary points.

Could anyone suggest further reading for this or shed some light on the subject.

Many thanks,
Ayae

Physics news on Phys.org
An intuitive explanation for why holomorphic implies conformal can be seen from the power series expansion of a function.

A complex function, differentiable at 0 can be expressed as a power series in some finite circle around the origin: [itex]f(z)=f(0)+f'(0)z+f''(0)\frac{z^2}{2!}+\cdots[/itex]. Sufficiently near the origin, we can ignore the higher powers of z. So this is approximately just a (affine) linear function, as long as [itex]f'(0)\neq0[/itex]: a multiplication by a fixed complex number, which is just a rotation (by the argument) and dilation (by the modulus), followed by a translation. This is clearly conformal (and conversely every conformal transformation must locally look like this).

On the other hand, if f'(0) vanishes, the higher order terms are dominant so there is an additional power of z. So, for example, if the first nonvanishing derivative is the second, the function locally looks like [itex]z\mapsto z^2 [/itex] (followed by rotation, dilation & translation). You just have to look at the polar form to see that this doubles angles at the origin so it isn't conformal.

Locally, any complex differentiable function looks like a power, so to understand the local behaviour you need only understand z, z2, z3 etc. This is all just heuristic, but hopefully it will help to understand why it works.

Thanks that really made sense. :approve:

henry_m said:
You just have to look at the polar form to see that this doubles angles at the origin so it isn't conformal.
One thing; does it not half the angles?
[tex]e^{i\theta}\rightarrow e^{2i\theta}[/tex]

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i={Re[%28x%2Biy%29]%3D0%2C+Im[%28x%2Biy%29]%3D0}
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i={Re[%28x%2Biy%29^2]%3D0%2C+Im[%28x%2Biy%29^2]%3D0}

ayae said:
One thing; does it not half the angles?
[tex]e^{i\theta}\rightarrow e^{2i\theta}[/tex]
I think you've got the direction of the map the wrong way round; a curve [itex]\gamma[/itex] gets mapped to [itex]\{z^2|z\in \gamma\}[/itex], not [itex]\{z|z^2\in \gamma\}[/itex]. Think about where each of the points goes after the function is applied to it. For example, the ray [itex]iy[/itex] with [itex]y>0[/itex]; after getting squared each of the points ends up on the negative real axis, doubling the ray's angle with the positive real axis. Hope that makes sense.

1. What are holomorphic functions?

Holomorphic functions are complex-valued functions that are differentiable at every point in their domain. They are a special type of analytic function that is defined on a complex plane.

2. What are stationary points of holomorphic functions?

Stationary points of holomorphic functions are points where the derivative of the function is equal to zero. These points are important because they can indicate the presence of a local maximum, minimum, or saddle point.

3. How do you find stationary points of holomorphic functions?

To find the stationary points of a holomorphic function, you can take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the values of the independent variables that make the derivative equal to zero.

4. What is the significance of stationary points in holomorphic functions?

Stationary points in holomorphic functions can give important information about the behavior of the function, such as the location of local extrema or points of inflection. They can also help in understanding the overall shape and behavior of the function.

5. Can holomorphic functions have more than one stationary point?

Yes, holomorphic functions can have multiple stationary points. These can include local maxima, minima, and saddle points. The number of stationary points a function has depends on the complexity of the function and its domain.