Can Smart Technology Help Reduce Energy Waste in Homes?

In summary, the conversation is about designing a system that automatically turns off non-essential electrical appliances in a home when it is unoccupied to reduce energy waste. The proposed solution involves using a keyring device that connects to a wifi network and triggers a system to turn off selected switches when the occupant leaves the house. Other suggestions include using RFID technology or existing smartphone apps for home automation. Some concerns are raised about the safety and convenience of such a system, as well as the overall energy consumption it may require.
Iain123
Hello,
I'm working on a project to design a system that basically turns off all non essential electrical appliances in the home when it is not occupied. The idea is to reduce energy waste caused by lights, TV's computers etc being left on accidentally.

So far I'm thinking that each occupant within the house could carry a small keyring sized device, and basically whenever the keyring leaves the building the system will automatically turn off all non essential devices and appliances. My background is more mechanical engineering than electrical so I'm struggling to figure out technically how this would be achieved.

Would it be possible to have the "keyring" connect to a wifi network within the home, then whenever the connection is lost, it could be assumed that the occupant has left? Then have something wired up to the fuse box to actually turn off selected switches?

The solution doesn't need to be perfect, just functional.
Any input is greatly appreciated,
thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Be careful what you turn off -- You don't want to be turning off a refrigerator with perishable food inside it (obviously), and turning off power to a computer unexpectedly can have some bad side-effects.

Maybe have a look at RFID technology -- there may be a solution for tracking people in a home. I know they use something similar to that at a local hospital, to track nurses and docs on some of the patient wards. It's pretty awesome to be at the Charge Nurse station, and see where all of your resources are when you start needing to move people around to help with emergent situations.

At the local Underwriters Laboratories facility, employees badge in and out as they go through certain doors in the facility. There is overall software running that keeps track of the sections of the buildings were employees are, and that is used for example when a visitor arrives and the receptionist can tell right away where the employee is at UL to link them up with their visitor.

All of this is pretty invasive for normal home use, though. Consider instead just using the existing smartphone based Apps that control home functions (via home automation). What Apps have you looked at so far?

+1

Perhaps you could use their mobile phone and wifi instead of a special keyfob?

Well... I think you should start at small, and in a slightly different direction.

For example, my biggest concern is not the energy consumption, since everything is already built/bought to be efficient, silent and energy saving.
However, it's a daily worry after leaving for work if I pulled off the iron or not?... :nb)

So, if you can put together a simple wall plug (extender) which can sense the bluetooth of my phone and switching itself off if it is not in range, then I'll buy it. :partytime:

You should spend some tyime googling for info on existing home automation products because it would shock me if you couldn't find some that meet your needs.

What ever happened to parents telling and training their kids to turn off the lights, or TV, when not in the room, or to quit looking in the fridge over and over again, ( accidently? ). Or put on a sweater if you feel cold rather than turning up the heat.
Besides being an energy usage issue, it is also a safety issue to pull plugs on kitchen gear, such as toasters and the like, and checking the oven plates.
But kids grow up to be adults, who I guess are just plain lazy, and need energy consuming tech to play with, instead of using their own smarts.

And consumer choice of convenience lends to energy use, with "always on", clocks on every appliance, "standy mode". For some of these devices, the convenience costs up to 10% of energy consumption. Porch lights always on, coffee pot always brewing, etc. Stereo or TV on for the house pet.

Keep in mind that lights on in the home can prevent unwanted entry, as an individual who cases a house may assume that with a light on, someone is at home, and go to the next, so the device may have to be adaptable to situations.

I am not sure that another device will lead to the human actually being the one responsible for his/her own actions.

But then that is just me, and not the general state of the population.
But then again, I too am lazy, so the right tech may just suit my fancy..

Likes anorlunda, Tom.G and russ_watters
It's worth considering the energy needed by the home automation system...I have an outside light that is controlled by a light sensor so that it only comes on at night. Problem is the LED light is only a few Watts and the optical sensor appears to run hotter than the LED light! One day I must get my meter out and measure how much power it's dissipating.

Likes 256bits and OmCheeto
CWatters said:
It's worth considering the energy needed by the home automation system...I have an outside light that is controlled by a light sensor so that it only comes on at night. Problem is the LED light is only a few Watts and the optical sensor appears to run hotter than the LED light! One day I must get my meter out and measure how much power it's dissipating.
Just did the experiment and calculations on my outdoor lamp and sensor.
Though, my lamp is motion activated, and I'm guessing it's only on about 1 hour per day.

I would have never guessed the conclusion.

2018.02.24.dont.always.assume.png

Attachments

• 2018.02.24.dont.always.assume.png
    2018.02.24.dont.always.assume.png
    3 KB · Views: 435
Likes krater, 256bits and anorlunda
If you are willing to go to this extreme in our "consumption control" It would be well worth the investigation of smart technology.
My energy use is significantly different than my wife's use. If you were to challenge the use my wife has of the house that would not end well, lol. If one were to meet my energy goals that would be great. My assumption is that is that this system will be working within the confines of smart technology.
Allow time for tracking of personal patterns. Create space for the identification of individual patterns and optimization. If your proposed system creates a win for all parties involved I would assume a win in all uses. If there is a conflict I can guarantee a loose.

What is a Home Energy Saving System?

A Home Energy Saving System is a collection of technologies and techniques that are designed to reduce the amount of energy used in a home. This can include things like energy-efficient appliances, smart thermostats, and insulation.

How does a Home Energy Saving System work?

A Home Energy Saving System works by actively monitoring and managing the use of energy in a home. This can be done through the use of sensors, timers, and smart technology that can adjust energy usage based on factors like occupancy and weather conditions.

What are the benefits of a Home Energy Saving System?

There are many benefits to using a Home Energy Saving System. By reducing energy usage, homeowners can save money on their utility bills. In addition, it can also help to reduce carbon emissions and lessen the environmental impact of a household.

How much can I save with a Home Energy Saving System?

The amount of money saved with a Home Energy Saving System will vary depending on factors like the size of the home, current energy usage, and the specific technologies and techniques used in the system. However, on average, homeowners can save anywhere from 10-30% on their energy bills.

Are there any downsides to using a Home Energy Saving System?

While there are many benefits to using a Home Energy Saving System, there are also some potential downsides. These can include the initial cost of purchasing and installing the system, as well as the ongoing maintenance and upkeep costs. Additionally, some systems may require a learning curve for homeowners to understand and use effectively.