Home-Made Liquid-Fuel Rocket Engine

• Thread starter MattRob
  • Start date
So I'm looking and researching to build a small liquid-fueled rocket engine. So far I think my choice for fuel is definately unleaded gasoline because of it's high impulse when mixed with Gas-state O2 and how easy it is to obtain.
Previously, I was looking at using Hydrogen Peroxide (H202) for oxidizer and high-grade Kerosene for fuel.
Now I was wondering, I'm speculating on making a rocket for the engine if it goes well, and I was wondering If I could use H202 for oxidizer with Gasoline for fuel. The reason for this is that H202 is so much more dense than air, so the fuel tank could be much smaller and still keep a good mass ratio (R, ratio of fuel mass to rocket mass) (Or I wouldn't have to make the walls thick enough to hold high-pressure O2).

In particular, I was wondering where it would be possible to come up with the numbers, such as the Specific Impulse, burn Temp, burn pressure, etc. of this fuel combination?

I think by now you have realized that this project is not very realistic. I mean, if containing liquid oxygen is a problem for you technically, then no other part of a liquid bipropellent rocket is within your capability.

Nugatory

Mentor
Before you go any further, see if you can find a local chapter of the NAR: http://www.nar.org/

The folks there are who you want to be talking with.

Nugatory

Mentor
The folks there are who you want to be talking with.
And a corollary is that an anonymous internet forum like this one is not where you should be getting your guidance. Any rocket bigger than a toy, and any liquid-fueled rocket, is inherently dangerous - you need to find people with experience and learn from them.

This thread is closed, not because there's anything wrong with it, but because we're not set up to offer you the help you need.