Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Home projects for chemical engineering?

1. Jun 16, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I just finished my lower division chemistry/physics sequence, and next semester I am transferring and will start taking my upper division chemical engineering classes. I was wondering what sort of projects I can do at home with my knowledge, or if someone can share ideas for DIY type stuff at home. I want to kickstart my way into chem engineering, so I will be more confident when I begin taking engineering courses this fall.

I know people in EE that make cars and stuff like that, is there something feasible like that for chem engineering? Obviously I can't make an oil distillation type of stuff in my house, but something small?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2013 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I believe that fuel cells fall under the category of chemical engineering. How about messing around with building some?

4. Jun 16, 2013 #3
    How do I go about starting to make a fuel cell? Are the parts relatively cheap to buy and then I can just learn how to assemble it?

5. Jun 16, 2013 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I'm afraid that I don't know; I was just throwing out an idea. Someone else should be along to help you before too long.

6. Jun 16, 2013 #5

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

My nephew-in-law has a PhD in Chemistry, and his last project was fuel cells. Should I invite him to the forum?

7. Jun 16, 2013 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Of course. Why haven't you already?

8. Jun 16, 2013 #7

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

He's quite busy with a daughter and new son.

-------------------------
    real reason? He and his family are from Texas. Think Harper, only with brains. Dangerous combo. Actually, I like the kid a lot.

9. Jun 16, 2013 #8
    Have you tried making one of these yet? FUEL CELL

lol seriously though if you have chemistry smarts maybe you can play with 3D printing trying to find an input material that is mass consumer friendly and super strong/durable & only requires a mass consumer (Read cheap) 3D printer. Basically make 3D printing cheap for me :smile:

Maybe start with buying a lemon/

10. Jul 21, 2013 #9
    If you can afford to spend dozen of thousands for this, try to reproduce some extraordinary material, ie aerogel, nanotubes, diamond, high-temperature superconductors, etc.
    Those technologies are quite documented, but not yet in the mass production stage.
    Thus, it will give you the real research experience and you will not loose yourself in looking for "philosophical stone".
    And, of course having such a samples is very cool for bragging :-)

11. Jul 26, 2013 #10

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  12. Sep 21, 2013 #11
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook