Homemade, easy, DIY, wireless, IoT and Bluetooth?

In summary: It does, and OP already asked about them (AKA WiFi shields) in the past.Welcome to the world of electronics. There is a reason we get paid a lot of $$$.
ISamson
Gold Member
Hello.

From my reasoning, I understand that at the most basic levels all electronics are made out of transistors, wires, capacitors... So I was wondering if it would be possible to make an easy, homemade DIY wireless, IoT or bluetooth connected piece of electronic just by using wires, transistors or capacitors...? I acknowledge my underestimation of the parts needed and the difficulty, but theoretically could it be possible?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure. But first you should be saying IC chips or modules instead of individual transistors. Even simple digital things need thousands or millions of transistors.

The best way to get started would be to hang out at the arundino forums and raspberry pi forums for a while to hear what other amateurs are doing for similar projects. They'll probably give links to articles on exactly that subject.

You could also gain some experience with smaller projects before taking on something so ambitious. I bought one of those arundino starter kits a couple of years ago. It was lots of fun.

anorlunda said:
You could also gain some experience with smaller projects before taking on something so ambitious. I bought one of those arundino starter kits a couple of years ago. It was lots of fun.

I have one of them on my desk right now.:)

anorlunda said:
The best way to get started would be to hang out at the arundino forums and raspberry pi forums for a while to hear what other amateurs are doing for similar projects. They'll probably give links to articles on exactly that subject.

I have been doing so, but many projects have been to hard, complicated or required many things I don't have.

Everything is described on the page, have you read it before asking?

Borek said:
described on the page

A bit unclearly.

transistor-scale replica of the classic MOS 6502 microprocessor

The 6502 is the famous processor found at the core of such influential computer systems as the

Pretty clear to me.

Borek said:
Pretty clear to me.

Hmm. Seems a very interesting project. I will do some deeper research... Thank you.

ISamson said:
I have been doing so, but many projects have been to hard, complicated or required many things I don't have.

Sounds like you need to start with easier, more "boring" projects first! wireless tech is not simple, and like other have said require thousands or more transistors minimum. You really mean ICs, and the simplest "chip" you could find is an arudino.

Welcome to the world of electronics. There is a reason we get paid a lot of $$$.

Doesn't Arduino have some wireless add-ons?

Averagesupernova said:
Doesn't Arduino have some wireless add-ons?

It does, and OP already asked about them (AKA WiFi shields) in the past.

Likes donpacino
I believe there are bluetooth shields as well

donpacino said:
I believe there are bluetooth shields as well

To be bold: I wonder if there is a popular protocol for which there are no shields :wink:

Borek said:
To be bold: I wonder if there is a popular protocol for which there are no shields :wink:
That is very likely! Especially considering 3rd party and custom shields

Yes there are more shields.

donpacino said:
You really mean ICs, and the simplest "chip" you could find is an arudino.

I already have an Arduino...

What is IoT?

IoT stands for Internet of Things and refers to the interconnection of everyday objects through the internet, allowing them to send and receive data. This technology allows for increased automation and efficiency in various industries and in our daily lives.

What is Bluetooth?

Bluetooth is a wireless technology that allows for the transfer of data between devices over short distances. It is commonly used to connect devices such as smartphones, laptops, and speakers.

What is the purpose of a DIY IoT project?

A DIY IoT project allows individuals to create their own smart devices and systems, tailored to their specific needs and preferences. It also provides a cost-effective alternative to purchasing pre-made IoT products.

Do I need coding experience to create a homemade IoT device?

It depends on the complexity of the project. Some DIY IoT kits and tutorials require basic coding skills, while others may require more advanced knowledge. However, there are also options available for those without coding experience, such as using pre-made platforms and drag-and-drop programming tools.

How can I make my homemade IoT device wireless?

To make a homemade IoT device wireless, you can use a wireless communication protocol such as Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. This will allow your device to connect to other devices and the internet without the need for physical wires. You can also use a microcontroller with built-in wireless capabilities, or add a wireless module to your device.