Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homemade Reactive Archery Target

1. Jun 21, 2016 #1
    Hello,
    I'm making a homemade archery target that will flash a light every time the target has been pierced. I'm thinking of using the idea behind resistive touch screen technology. So every time the arrow pierces a resistive layer would contact a conductive layer and increase the resistance of the circuit.

My problem is: how do I take that increase in resistance and use it as a signal to turn on a lightbulb.

I am not an EE, and have VERY limited knowledge, so thank you for helping and being patient.

Also, is there another way to solve this problem of turning a light on every time the target is hit, perhaps with capacitance? Maybe use a grid of switches that once hit and ruptured could trigger a capacitor to flash a lightbulb? Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 11.29.31 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 11.40.28 AM.png

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2016 #2

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF.

The problem with most of those ideas you suggest is that they would degrade with time as more and more arrow holes puncture it. My suggestion would be a cheap microphone to pick up the sound. A little metal shield in front of the mike would protect it from being pierced by an arrow.

Others on this forum are much better than I at circuit design, so I won't propose a circuit myself.

Good luck. That sounds like a fun project.

4. Jun 21, 2016 #3
    Hi anorlunda, thanks for your input!

The idea would be to print circuits on paper that would be disposable and plug them into a control unit.

5. Jun 21, 2016 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

A microphone or vibration / movement detector behind the target is probably the simplest solution.
    Is any hit a score or do you want different scores for different distances from the centre.

6. Jun 22, 2016 #5
    Hi Baluncore,
    Any hit that's on target is a score. The target can be anywhere from 2 in in diameter to 6 inches or even more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted