Homework check on Harmonic Motion

In summary: Fdrive(t)/Zm] cos(ω·t + θ)... and see if it works. That is, plug in the above x(t) and see if the differential equation is satisfied if θ is a particular value.I would do it, but I'm trying to study for a test on Friday, so I really shouldn't get sucked into this. I'm already procrastinating by being here at all! :rofl:
roldy
A mass of 0.5 kg hangs on a spring. The stiffness of the spring is 100 N/m, and the mechanical resistance is 1.4 kg/s. The force (N) driving the system is f=2cost5t.

(a) What will be the steady-state values of the displacement amplitude, speed amplitude, and average power dissipation?

(b) What is the phase angle between speed and force?

(c) What is the resonance frequency and what would be the displacement amplitude, speed amplitude, and average power dissipation at this frequency and for the same force magnitude as in (a)?

(d) What is the Q of the system, and over what range of frequencies will the power loss be at least 50% of its resonance value?

eq. 1
latex2png.2.php?z=100&eq=X%3D\frac{F_o%20}{\sqrt{%28s-m\omega^2%29^2%2BR_m^2\omega^2%20}}.jpg

eq. 2

latex2png.2.php?z=100&eq=\prod%3D\frac{F^2%20R_m}{2Z_m^2}.jpg

eq. 3
Zm2=Rm2 + (omega*m-s/omega)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

m= 0.5 kg
stiffness=k=s(in my book)=100 N/m
mechanical resistance=c=Rm(in my book)=1.4 kg/s
f=2cost5t

(a) I used eq. 1 and found the displacement amplitude to be .023 m or 2.3 cm.

To get the speed amplitude, I differentiated the displacement equation. The only thing I differentiated was the forcing function since that is the only thing that's dependent on time. So basically I multiplied the derivative of f by .023. This resulted in -.115 m/s. So the velocity amplitude is .115 m/s or 11.5 cm/s.

For the average power dissipation I used eq. 2
And using eq. 3 I found what Zm was.

power dissipation=.009 W

(b) Here I'm not so sure I'm right. I said that it was pi/2. F=ma, and the acceleration response is a cosine function (differentiated the velocity response from (a)). The speed response is a sine function. Cosine and sine are out of phase by pi/2 radians. Does my logic make sense? Or is there something I messed up.

(c) Here I'm also not sure I did this right. In my book it says the following:

The resonance angular frequency omega_o is defined as that at which the mechanical reactance X_m vanishes and the mechanical impedance is pure real with its minimum value, Z_m=R_m.

So in order for Z_m to equal R_m in eq. 3, the term in (...) must be zero.

omega*m-s/omega=0
omega*m=s/omega
omega^2=s/m
omega=(s/m)^1/2

I got 14.142 rad/s. This does not seem right because it is more than the natural frequency of the driving force which is 5 rad/s. Using this number in the displacement amplitude I came up with .101 m or 10.1 cm. This made me question my result for the resonance frequency.

(d) I didn't bother doing yet because of the questionable answer I got above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've spent the past 2 days trying to figure this out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
FYI, please don't boldface entire posts in the future. :smile:
roldy said:

The Attempt at a Solution

m= 0.5 kg
stiffness=k=s(in my book)=100 N/m
mechanical resistance=c=Rm(in my book)=1.4 kg/s
f=2cost5t

(a) I used eq. 1 and found the displacement amplitude to be .023 m or 2.3 cm.
Looks reasonable.
To get the speed amplitude, I differentiated the displacement equation. The only thing I differentiated was the forcing function since that is the only thing that's dependent on time. So basically I multiplied the derivative of f by .023. This resulted in -.115 m/s. So the velocity amplitude is .115 m/s or 11.5 cm/s.
Agreed. vampl is ω·xampl.

For the average power dissipation I used eq. 2
And using eq. 3 I found what Zm was.

power dissipation=.009 W
I'll trust you on that one, it has been a while since I studied this stuff myself.
(b) Here I'm not so sure I'm right. I said that it was pi/2. F=ma,
No, not quite. Remember that "F=ma" really means
F = ma
The driving force is just one force in the sum (there is also the spring and the damping forces). They want the phase angle between v and Fdrive, not ∑F.

Does your book or class lecture notes not give an equation for x(t), given a sinusoidal Fdrive(t)?

... and the acceleration response is a cosine function (differentiated the velocity response from (a)). The speed response is a sine function. Cosine and sine are out of phase by pi/2 radians. Does my logic make sense? Or is there something I messed up.

(c) Here I'm also not sure I did this right. In my book it says the following:

The resonance angular frequency omega_o is defined as that at which the mechanical reactance X_m vanishes and the mechanical impedance is pure real with its minimum value, Z_m=R_m.

So in order for Z_m to equal R_m in eq. 3, the term in (...) must be zero.

omega*m-s/omega=0
omega*m=s/omega
omega^2=s/m
omega=(s/m)^1/2

I got 14.142 rad/s. This does not seem right because it is more than the natural frequency of the driving force which is 5 rad/s. Using this number in the displacement amplitude I came up with .101 m or 10.1 cm. This made me question my result for the resonance frequency.
That looks reasonable to me. There is no reason why the driving frequency has to be close to the resonance frequency. Also makes sense because, for driving well below resonance, you should have xampl≈Fampl/k, which is approximately true here.
(d) I didn't bother doing yet because of the questionable answer I got above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've spent the past 2 days trying to figure this out.

The only equation that I came across for x(t) is the following:

x=[F/(omega*Zm)]sin(omega*t-Theta)

I also found this:

The actual speed is:

u=(F/Zm)cos(omega*t-Theta)

I could use this but I don't have a value for t.

That seems odd that your book doesn't have a complete derivation. Does it tell you what Zm is, but doesn't say what θ is?

One way to calculate θ is to use your equation for x, and plug it into the full differential equation that describes the system. So, all force terms (driving, spring, and damping) added together must equal mx''. Then it's a lot of messy trig and algebra to figure out what θ is.

IIRC, the algebra may be easier to work with if you use as a trial solution
x=Xampl·eiωt-θ

This book is horrible. Zm=Rm+jXm where Xm=omega*m-s/omega.

[tex]\Theta[/tex] is the phase angle.

Also, [tex]\Theta[/tex]=tan-1(Xm/Rm)

I'll give it another shot and see if I can find something.

1. What is harmonic motion?

Harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. In simpler terms, it is the back and forth movement of an object around a central point, such as a swinging pendulum or a vibrating string.

2. How can harmonic motion be described mathematically?

Harmonic motion can be described using a sinusoidal function, such as the sine or cosine function. The equation for harmonic motion is typically written as x = A*sin(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

3. What is the relationship between mass and frequency in harmonic motion?

In harmonic motion, the frequency of oscillation is inversely proportional to the mass of the object. This means that as the mass increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa.

4. How do you determine the period of a harmonic motion system?

The period of a harmonic motion system is the time it takes for one complete cycle of motion. It can be calculated using the equation T = 2π/ω, where T is the period and ω is the angular frequency.

5. Can harmonic motion occur in different directions?

Yes, harmonic motion can occur in different directions. It can be linear, where the motion is along a straight line, or rotational, where the motion is around a central point. Examples of rotational harmonic motion include the motion of a pendulum or a spinning top.