Sphere with a hole drilled in center

In summary, the problem is to find the volume of a sphere with a cylindrical hole drilled through the center of radius b. Two possible ways of solving this problem are using spherical coordinates or polar coordinates. However, upon evaluation, it is determined that the correct way is to work out the volume of the hole and subtract it from the volume of the whole sphere. This can be done by varying the sphere's radius while keeping the cylindrical hole fixed.
ParoXsitiC

Homework Statement

Find volume of a sphere with radius R with a hole drilled through the center of radius b. (b<R)

Homework Equations

cos thera = adj / hyp

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]4\,\int _{0}^{\arccos \left( {\frac {b}{R}} \right) }\!\int _{0}^{\pi
}\!\int _{b}^{R}\!{\rho}^{2}\sin \left( \phi \right) {d\rho}\,{d\phi}
\,{d\theta}
[/itex]

This is what I am getting with spherical coords but I am unsure if theta goes from 0 to arccos(b/R) or if the rho going from b to R takes care of that gap and instead of I should go from 0 to Pi/2 (multipled by 4).

See picture:

2wlsydd.png

Edit:

Upon looking at the picture and how it would spin around with theta, can this even be done spherically? It seems like it would create spherical hole in the sphere and not a cylindrical drill.

With that in mind here are polar:

[itex]\int _{0}^{2\,\pi }\!\int _{b}^{R}\!2\,\int _{0}^{ \sqrt{-{r}^{2}+{R}^
{2}}}\!r{dz}{dr}\,{d\theta}
[/itex]

Again the problem arises, should I go from the green line or from the red line?

2kh6wl.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Work out the volume of the hole, and subtract that from the volume of a sphere of radius R.

Nevermind, when evaulating both possible ways using b = 0 (just getting volume of a sphere no drill) I get 4/3 Pi R^2 when z goes from +- sqrt(R^2 - r^2) - which is the volumne of a sphere. So obviously that one is right, it makes sense visually but I know in some cases you must use the intersection as the limits.

It is a curious fact that the volume remaining in the sphere can be determined purely from the length of the cylindrical hole. Varying the sphere's radius while keeping that fixed increases the volume drilled out by the same amount as it increases the volume of the whole sphere.

What is a sphere with a hole drilled in the center?

A sphere with a hole drilled in the center is a three-dimensional shape that resembles a ball with a hollowed out center. It is often referred to as a spherical shell.

What is the purpose of a sphere with a hole drilled in the center?

The purpose of a sphere with a hole drilled in the center can vary depending on its application. It can be used as a structural component, such as in a bearing or a pulley, or it can be used for decorative purposes, such as in jewelry or art.

How is a sphere with a hole drilled in the center made?

A sphere with a hole drilled in the center is typically made by using a lathe or a milling machine. The sphere is first shaped into a ball, and then a hole is drilled through the center using precision tools.

What materials are used to make a sphere with a hole drilled in the center?

A sphere with a hole drilled in the center can be made from a variety of materials, including metal, plastic, wood, or even glass. The choice of material depends on the intended use and desired properties of the sphere.

What are some real-world applications of a sphere with a hole drilled in the center?

A sphere with a hole drilled in the center has many practical applications in different industries. It can be used as a ball bearing in machinery, as a core for a hollow ball used in sports equipment, or as a decorative element in jewelry making. It is also commonly used in physics experiments to demonstrate concepts such as center of mass and rotational motion.