Homework (Initial velocity, gravity, and falling height)

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a physics book sliding off a table and striking the floor. The person is asking for help in finding the correct equation to use and has attempted to use 1.10(.35)+1/2(-9.8)(.1225) with no success. They are then directed to use the equation h = 1/2*g*t^2 to find the answer.
RawTalent
Hey I am having a bit of trouble finding the proper equation to use when solving a problem such as this...

A physics book slides off a horizontal tabletop with a speed of 1.10 m/s. It strikes the floor at 0.350 s. Ignore air resistance. Find (a) the height of the tabletop above the floor, (b) the horizontal distance from the edge of the table to the point where the book strikes the floor, and (c) the horizontal and vertical components of the book’s velocity, and the magnitude and direction of its velocity, just before the book reaches the floor.

I used this equation with no success...
1.10(.35)+1/2(-9.8)(.1225)
= .385 + (-.60025)
= -.215 m

where do i go from here? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Raw Talent, welcome to PF.
When the book leaves the table top, its velocity in the downward direction is zero and in the horizontal direction is 1.1 m/s, which remains costant.

So substituting 0 m/s for initial velocity I end up with .6 meters. I am still unsure if that's correct. Can anybody tell me if I'm using the correct equation?

Last edited:
Use h = 1/2*g*t^2 and find the answer.

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out for help with this physics problem. To solve this problem, we can use the equations for motion with constant acceleration. These equations are:

- vf = vi + at (final velocity equals initial velocity plus acceleration multiplied by time)
- d = vit + 1/2at^2 (distance equals initial velocity multiplied by time plus one-half acceleration multiplied by time squared)
- vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad (final velocity squared equals initial velocity squared plus two times acceleration multiplied by distance)

We can also use the equation for gravitational acceleration, which is g = 9.8 m/s^2.

Now, let's break down the problem and use these equations to find the answers:

(a) The height of the tabletop above the floor can be found using the second equation listed above. We know that the initial velocity (vi) is 1.10 m/s, the time (t) is 0.350 s, and the acceleration (a) is -9.8 m/s^2 (negative because it is acting in the opposite direction of the book's motion). Plugging these values into the equation, we get:

d = (1.10)(0.350) + 1/2(-9.8)(0.350)^2
= 0.385 - 0.6025
= -0.2175 m

Since the book starts and ends at the same height, the height of the tabletop is 0.2175 m above the floor.

(b) The horizontal distance from the edge of the table to the point where the book strikes the floor can be found using the first equation listed above. We know that the initial velocity (vi) is 1.10 m/s, the time (t) is 0.350 s, and the acceleration (a) is 0 m/s^2 (since there is no acceleration in the horizontal direction). Plugging these values into the equation, we get:

d = (1.10)(0.350)
= 0.385 m

Therefore, the horizontal distance from the edge of the table to the point where the book strikes the floor is 0.385 m.

(c) To find the horizontal and vertical components of the book's velocity just before it reaches the floor, we can use the third equation listed above. We know that the final velocity (vf) is 0 m/s (

1. What is initial velocity?

Initial velocity is the velocity at which an object starts moving. It is also referred to as the starting velocity or the velocity at time zero.

2. How does gravity affect falling objects?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. This force causes objects to accelerate towards the ground, increasing their velocity as they fall.

3. How do I calculate the initial velocity of a falling object?

The initial velocity of a falling object can be calculated using the formula v = gt, where v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and t is the time in seconds.

4. What is the relationship between falling height and initial velocity?

The initial velocity of a falling object is directly proportional to the square root of the falling height. This means that the higher the falling height, the greater the initial velocity of the object.

5. How can I use initial velocity, gravity, and falling height to calculate the time it takes for an object to fall?

The time it takes for an object to fall can be calculated using the formula t = √(2h/g), where t is the time in seconds, h is the falling height in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).