Homework questions, hints please?

• Thread starter moshilover
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary: I think you should have multiplied 10.4 by 2 so that the unit of time (seconds) is squared in the denominator. With this correction, you should get a value of 2.0 seconds for the time.In summary, the conversation discusses solving two problems involving a ball thrown upward with given initial vertical speed, acceleration of gravity, and maximum height. The first problem asks for the height at maximum, while the second problem asks for the initial vertical speed. The person in the conversation attempted to solve the problems using different formulas but got incorrect answers. Hints were given to help them correct their mistakes.
moshilover
Homework questions, hints please??!

1. A ball is thrown upward. Its initial vertical speed is 10.4 m/s, acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2, and maximum height hmax are shown in the figure below. What is its height, hmax? Answer in units of m. Neglect: air resistance

For this one I used 3 different formulas in different ways and each answer I got was wrong when I checked it. I divided 10.4 and 9.8 and got .9423076923 for time. Then I plugged that into a distance formula of d=ViT+1/2aT^2 and got 16.55510205 which was wrong.

2.A ball is thrown upward. Its initial vertical speed is v0, acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2, and maximum height is 5.5 m, as shown in the figure below. What is its initial vertical speed, v0? Answer in units of m/s. Neglect: Air resistance

So since the initial vertical speed is v0 wouldn't the initial velocity just be 0?? And so the answer is 0??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Until you show how you got your incorrect answers, we'll hardly be able to help you. :rolleyes:

moshilover said:
1. A ball is thrown upward. Its initial vertical speed is 10.4 m/s, acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2, and maximum height hmax are shown in the figure below. What is its height, hmax? Answer in units of m. Neglect: air resistance

For this one I used 3 different formulas in different ways and each answer I got was wrong when I checked it...could someone give me a hint or show me how to do this??

Well, which equations did you use?

2.A ball is thrown upward. Its initial vertical speed is v0, acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2, and maximum height is 5.5 m, as shown in the figure below. What is its initial vertical speed, v0? Answer in units of m/s. Neglect: Air resistance

This one I got 10.38267788, but I checked this one too and says its incorrect. I used the distance formula...

Show your working, and it will be easier to see where you went wrong

... I divided 10.4 and 9.8 and got .9423076923 for time ...

My calculator gives another value for this calculation. You divided 9.8 by 10.4, which gives a value with a unit of per second.

1. What is the purpose of homework questions?

The purpose of homework questions is to reinforce and apply the concepts and skills learned in class. It also helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. Why do we need hints for homework questions?

Hints can provide guidance and direction to students who may be struggling with a particular question. It can also help students think about the problem in a different way and encourage them to come up with their own solutions.

3. How can we effectively use hints for homework questions?

To effectively use hints, students should first attempt to solve the question on their own. If they get stuck, they can refer to the hints for guidance. It is important to read and understand the hint before moving on to the next step.

4. Are there any resources available for homework questions besides hints?

Besides hints, students can also refer to their class notes, textbooks, online resources, and ask their teacher or classmates for help. It is important to use a variety of resources to fully understand the homework question.

5. Should we always use hints for homework questions?

No, it is important to attempt the question on your own first before using hints. This will help strengthen your understanding and problem-solving skills. Only use hints as a last resort if you are truly stuck and cannot make any progress on your own.