1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework: vertical motion in gravity

1. Oct 2, 2006 #1
    i have this assignment. a ball is throun in to the air withe the speed equal to 49m/s and i need to find out after how many seconds it will reach 102,9 m. i used the formula we were given in class height=initial speed*time-[(Gravitational acceleration* time^2)/2]

P.S. could you use these terms cuz i learn physics in romanian not in english

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2006 #2
    i believe the equation is +at^2 and not -at^2....? alrite bascially u already have the ans so what seems to be the problem?the gravitational acceleration os 9.81....u just hav to sub in everything given to get the ans???

4. Oct 2, 2006 #3

radou

Homework Helper

The part of the equation involving acceleration is 1/2*a*t^2 in general, but since a = -g, it is -1/2*g*t^2, so the equation is correct.

5. Oct 2, 2006 #4
    The formula is
    [tex]
    x_f - x_i = v_0 t + \frac{at^2}{2}
    [/tex]
    It comes from integrating acceleration as a function of time twice. If you know integration, then you don't need to memorize this formula, because it is so easily derived.

You have all of the information; you have the formula as well. You are correct.
    [tex]
    102.9 - 0 = 49t - \frac{1}{2}(9.8)t^2
    [/tex]

Just remember that you need to use the quadratic formula to get the solutions from the quadratic equation that results from substituting in the numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?