Homog. linear system w/ matrix method, help appreciated

In summary, the problem is to solve the system dx/dt = [20 0; 40 0] with initial value x(0) = [-4; 32]. The conversation also mentions using Wolfram Mathematics and the confusion about finding eigenvalues and vectors without knowledge of linear algebra. It is suggested that it may not be a good idea to take differential equations without first taking linear algebra.
ultrabionic_ang

Homework Statement

Solve the system:

dx/dt =
20 0
40 0

with initial value x(0) =

so x(t) = [] ?

Homework Equations

I'm not really positive how to do this and how to go about finding x(t). I've looked at wolfram mathematics, and tried following their definitions, but am a bit confused as to how finding eigenvalues/vectors play into finding x(t) I haven't had linear algebra either.

:confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You shouldn't be doing problems like this if you don't know any linear algebra! In fact, it's probably a bad idea to take differential equations before taking Linear Algebra.

Well... they don't require lin alg for diff eq at my school... I'm taking linear over the summer

1. What is a homogeneous linear system?

A homogeneous linear system is a set of equations where the constant term in each equation is equal to zero. This means that all variables in the system have the same degree of importance and the system can be represented by a single matrix.

2. What is the matrix method for solving a homogeneous linear system?

The matrix method involves representing the system as a matrix equation and using row operations to transform the matrix into an upper triangular form. This allows for the direct calculation of the solution to the system.

3. How is the matrix method different from other methods of solving linear systems?

The matrix method is different from other methods, such as substitution or elimination, because it focuses on manipulating the coefficients of the system rather than the individual equations. This can make it more efficient for solving larger systems.

4. Can the matrix method be used for non-homogeneous linear systems?

No, the matrix method is only applicable to homogeneous linear systems. For non-homogeneous systems, other methods such as Gaussian elimination or Cramer's rule should be used.

5. Are there any limitations to using the matrix method for solving linear systems?

One limitation of the matrix method is that it can only be used for square systems, where the number of equations is equal to the number of variables. It also requires the coefficients to be real numbers.