Homotopic maps on a sphere

• Thread starter R136a1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sphere
In summary, if two arbitrary continuous maps ##f,g:S^n\rightarrow S^n## satisfy ##f(x) \neq -g(x)## for all ##x\in S^n##, then they are homotopic. This can be shown by using the straight line homotopy ##H(x,t) = \frac{f(x) + t(g(x) - f(x))}{\|f(x) + t(g(x) - f(x))\|}## and considering the norm of both sides. The constraint on ##f(x)## and ##g(x)## not occupying antipodal points is necessary to avoid the denominator becoming zero.
R136a1
If I take two arbitrary continuous maps ##f,g:S^n\rightarrow S^n## such that ##f(x) \neq -g(x)## for any ##x\in S^n##, then ##f## and ##g## are homotopic.

How do I show this result? I really don't see how to use the condition that ##f## and ##g## never occupy two antipodal points. Any hint would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the straight line homotopy ##H(x,t) = f(x) + t(g(x) - f(x))##. Try to force the straight line homotopy onto the sphere; you'll see how the constraint on ##f(x)## and ##g(x)## not occupying antipodal points comes into play.

Thanks a lot, miss!

So, my idea is to take

[tex]H(x,t) = \frac{f(x) + t(g(x) - f(x))}{\|f(x) + t(g(x) - f(x))\|}[/tex]

I guess the constraint on ##f## and ##g## comes into play because we don't want the denominator to vanish? But I have troubles proving this rigorously. Assume that the denominator is ##0##, then

[tex](t-1)f(x) = tg(x)[/tex]

I'm pretty stuck now!

##f(x)## and ##g(x)## are both elements of ##S^{n}##; take the norm of both sides.

WannabeNewton said:
##f(x)## and ##g(x)## are both elements of ##S^{n}##; take the norm of both sides.

Wow, I didn't think of that! Why are you so smart?

1. What is a homotopic map on a sphere?

A homotopic map on a sphere is a continuous mapping between two spheres that can be continuously deformed into each other without tearing or cutting.

2. What is the importance of homotopic maps on a sphere?

Homotopic maps on a sphere are important in topology and geometry as they can help to classify and understand the properties of different spaces and surfaces.

3. How is the homotopy of a map on a sphere determined?

The homotopy of a map on a sphere is determined by the continuous deformation between the two spheres, which can be visualized as a path connecting the two maps.

4. Can all maps on a sphere be homotoped?

No, not all maps on a sphere can be homotoped. Maps that are topologically equivalent, or have the same number of holes or handles, can be homotoped.

5. How are homotopic maps on a sphere related to the fundamental group?

Homotopic maps on a sphere are related to the fundamental group through the fundamental theorem of algebraic topology, which states that the fundamental group of a space is isomorphic to the group of homotopy classes of maps from a sphere into that space.